-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate's Caching Strategy within Clusters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:08 pm 

If someone "in the know" could confirm my understanding of the following issue, it would help me and possibly others tremendously.

I'm evaluating hibernate as well as other open source ORMs. Am I correct in my understanding that hiberanate's caching strategy is designed in a way that prevents it from working out of the box in a cluster and the recommendation is to use a pluggable caching approach like the one from Tangosol?

This is not to say that there's anything incorrect in the design or hibernate, but that it choses to focus on a tighter transaction isolation that can't be ensured in a clustered environment.

If this is true, is there an ETA on the Pluggable interface that will allow users to integrate products such as Coherence into hibernate. I thought I read a message from someone (Gavin maybe) that he had integrated the two and it only took an hour and a half to do it. Is this is the case, will those interfaces and implementation classes be made public for download?

On the Wiki roadmap section, it says:

"support for cache plugins, via CacheProvider interface (includes support for Tangosol Coherence cache). (DONE)"

but I don't see it anywhere in CVS.

Thanks in advanced for any response.

Chuck Cavaness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:24 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You are looking at the wrong CVS branch ;)

Try "v21branch".

Yes, hibernate tries to be VERY fussy about transaction isolation.

I have a coherence provider that I will post on the Wiki once 2.1 beta 2 is out. (today?)

I am presently in the middle of an email exchange with Bela Ban of Javagroups, who has an open source distributed cache implementation that we will integrate with Hibernate. Not sure of an ETA for that effort, but likely to be weeks, rather than months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:32 pm 

Now that folks is support :) Thanks for the reply Gavin.

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Hibernate's Caching Strategy within Clusters
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 am 

I spent my whole life trying not to be careless. Women and children can be careless. But not men.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]