-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can Hibernate delete orphan record instead of nulling the FK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 pm 

I have 3 tables. `post`, `tag` and a join table `post_tag`. `post` to `post_tag` is one to many and `post_tag` to `tag` is one to one.

three entities are as follow:
Code:
@Entity
@Table(name = "post")
public class Post extends BaseEntity {
    @Setter
    @Getter
    @OneToMany(cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
    @JoinColumn(name = "post_id")
    private Set<PostTag> tags;
}

@Entity
@Table(name = "post_tag")
public class PostTag extends BaseEntity {
    @Setter
    @Getter
    @OneToOne(cascade = CascadeType.ALL, orphanRemoval = true)
    private Tag tag;
}

@Entity
@Table(name = "tag")
public class Tag extends BaseEntity {
    @Getter
    @Setter
    @Column(name = "tag_text")
    private String text;
}

and My BaseEntity has just one variable
Code:
public class BaseEntity {
    @Id
    @Setter
    @Getter
    @Column(name = "id")
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
    Long id;
}

The above works great on update and insert, but it nulls the post_id in post_tag table when I wanted hibernate to delete the row instead.

What happened was for example client HAD 2 records in post_tag table. When doing a PUT request to update post, it also passes tags object with just 1 record. Hibernate is smart enough to keep the one in object and null the other, but what I really want hibernate to do is to delete the orphan record. I've tried to set orphanRemoval = true) like this to tags
Code:
@Setter
@Getter
@OneToMany(orphanRemoval = true)
@JoinColumn(name = "user_id")
private Set<UserSubscribeTag> tags;

but got
Code:
A collection with cascade=\"all-delete-orphan\" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance

I don't know if this is possible since I think hibernate is doing the right thing. I should've called delete instead of save if I really want to get rid of that record.

Post subject: Re: Can hibernate delete orphan record instead of nulling fk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

When you get:

Quote:
A collection with cascade=\"all-delete-orphan\" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance

It means that you have assigned a new collection Object reference instead of adding/removing elements from the Hibernate managed collection.

For more details of how this association should look like, check out this article.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm 

vlad wrote:
When you get:

Quote:

It means that you have assigned a new collection Object reference instead of adding/removing elements from the Hibernate managed collection.

For more details of how this association should look like, check out this article.

I think I've carefully studied and followed the tutorial at least 5 times. I don't think I've missed anything, but I'm getting
Code:
2017-09-08T19:07:49.879110+00:00 app[web.1]: Caused by: org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheRegionFactoryAvailableException: Second-level cache is used in the application, but property hibernate.cache.region.factory_class is not given; please either disable second level cache or set correct region factory using the hibernate.cache.region.factory_class setting and make sure the second level cache provider (hibernate-infinispan, e.g.) is available on the classpath.
2017-09-08T19:07:49.879114+00:00 app[web.1]:    at org.hibernate.boot.internal.SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.build(SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.java:452) ~[hibernate-core-5.2.10.Final.jar!/:5.2.10.Final]
2017-09-08T19:07:49.879115+00:00 app[web.1]:    at org.hibernate.jpa.boot.internal.EntityManagerFactoryBuilderImpl.build(EntityManagerFactoryBuilderImpl.java:889) ~[hibernate-core-5.2.10.Final.jar!/:5.2.10.Final]

after googling, suggestion was to set use_second_level_cache to false which I think totally defeat the purpose.

I also found suggestion that I think is more appropriate by setting
Code:
spring.jpa.properties.hibernate.cache.region.factory_class="net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.EhCacheRegionFactory"

but got another exception says
Code:
org.hibernate.boot.registry.selector.spi.StrategySelectionException: Unable to resolve name ["net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.EhCacheRegionFactory"] as strategy [org.hibernate.cache.spi.RegionFactory]

I also tried org.hibernate.cache.ehcache.EhCacheRegionFactory and getting the same exception except class name
I do have hibernate-ehcache in my pom
I'm sorry, but I really can't find other solution. Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:46 pm 

Hi vlad,
after reading your another tutorial here, I think I understand now. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You're welcome. For more details, check out these 250 articles I wrote about JPA and Hibernate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]