-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: LIMIT keyword is not supported in HQL or JPQL
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:25 pm 

Is this syntactically correct?

Code:
Query query3 = session.createSQLQuery("SELECT scheduledprocedure.id FROM   carecube.scheduledprocedure ORDER BY scheduledprocedure.id LIMIT 1 OFFSET :q1");
query3.setParameterList("q1", q1 );

I'm passing in the number 58, which is the number returned from a list called q1. I've written the parameter into the query as ':q1' but unfortunately hibernate cannot extract the resultset.

What am I missing? thank you.

Post subject: Re: Using query.setParameterList
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:06 pm 

I've found out that Hibernate does not recognise offsetting.

I used setFirstResult(int) and setMaxResults(int) to achieve this :-)

Post subject: Re: Using query.setParameterList
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:23 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate does not support the LIMIT keyword because that's only recognized by MySQL and PostgreSQL.

By using the:

- setFirstResult
- setMaxResults

Your query is guaranteed to work on all databases supported by Hibernate. For instance, on Oracle 11g, it will use a derived table to limit the result set by ROWNUM. On Oracle 12c, it can use the SQL 2008 syntax: OFFSET N ROWS FETCH NEXT M. But you don't have to worry about the database-specific syntax since Hibernate will take care of that.

Post subject: Re: LIMIT keyword is not supported in HQL or JPQL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 am 

I am not seeing that behavior in 5.2.5. Looking at the source code, in every LimitHandler (except for SQLServer2005LimitHandler) I see the following code in processSql():
Code:
      if (LimitHelper.hasFirstRow( selection )) {
         throw new UnsupportedOperationException( "query result offset is not supported" );
      }

I am using both setMaxResults() and setFirstResult() and I see that exception every time.

Update - I tried using SQLServer2005LimitHandler and my queries are now working as they did with previous Hibernate versions. I was previously using the SQLServerDialect and its default LimitHandler seemed to support MaxResults and FirstResult. Now I will specifically set my (SQL) dialect to use SQLServer2005LimitHandler.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]