-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: When is identity column value retrieved?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:12 pm 

Just embarking on this Hibernate journey here.

If I have a column that is defined like so

Code:
   @Id
   @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.IDENTITY)
   @Column(name="USER_ID")
        private Long userId;

and the application logic looks like so
Code:
      Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().openSession();
      session.getTransaction().begin();
      User user = new User();
      //set various properties of user
      session.save(user);
I can see that if I inspect the value of the user instance right after the save it has the value of the id that was just inserted. So is hibernate doing a "SELECT" from the database right after the INSERT to retrieve that value?

But reading the manual I get the impression that if there are other columns in the table that are populated by means of triggers or some such, then I need to do a session.refresh() so the user instance has those properties.

And one related question
Is there anything to choose between these two statements
Code:
      User justInsertedUser = (User)session.get(User.class, user.getUserId());
and
Code:
      session.refresh(user);

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: When is identity column value retrieved?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:24 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

When it comes to database-generated columns (e.g IDENTITY), it really depends on the underlying driver capabilities to fetch the newly generated PK value.

The [url=https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#generatedKeyAlwaysReturned()]DatabaseMetaData.html#generatedKeyAlwaysReturned()
[/url] tells if the Driver supports retrieving generated key using the very same database rountrip used for executing the statement:

Code:
PreparedStatement ps= connection.prepareStatement(
    "INSERT INTO post (title) VALUES (?)",
     Statement.RETURN_GENERATED_KEYS
);

while (resultSet.next()) {
    LOGGER.info("Generated identifier: {}", resultSet.getLong(1));
}

Nevertheless, this might work with JDBC batching or not, which is also a Driver-specific detail. If the JDBC Driver does not support such a construct, Hibernate must use a secondary query to fetch the newly generated identifier.

As for refresh, you only need it if the database generates other columns than the identifier, like when you @Generated.

Post subject: Re: When is identity column value retrieved?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:52 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
When it comes to database-generated columns (e.g IDENTITY), it really depends on the underlying driver capabilities to fetch the newly generated PK value.

The [url=https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#generatedKeyAlwaysReturned()]DatabaseMetaData.html#generatedKeyAlwaysReturned()
[/url] tells if the Driver supports retrieving generated key using the very same database rountrip used for executing the statement:

Code:
PreparedStatement ps= connection.prepareStatement(
    "INSERT INTO post (title) VALUES (?)",
     Statement.RETURN_GENERATED_KEYS
);

while (resultSet.next()) {
    LOGGER.info("Generated identifier: {}", resultSet.getLong(1));
}

Nevertheless, this might work with JDBC batching or not, which is also a Driver-specific detail. If the JDBC Driver does not support such a construct, Hibernate must use a secondary query to fetch the newly generated identifier.

As for refresh, you only need it if the database generates other columns than the identifier, like when you @Generated.

great, that link helped- in fact there is a response that dovetails with my situation since I'm working with MySQL.
Quote:
MySQL receives the generated key(s) automatically in the OK packet of the protocol in response to executing a statement. There is no communication overhead when requesting generated keys.

which is presumably why in a further experiment I found that the same "user" instance that I used in the session.save actually had the value of the id populated when I inspected it immediately after the save statement.
Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]