-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using Type(b) in the Where Clause
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 am 

FYI: using Hibernate 5.1

I have a use case where I need to filter a query by entity type, with 1..* entity types being selected.

So an example HQL would be, for selecting Cars related to User, but returning type CarTypeA (a subclass of Car) only:
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT b FROM com.zlatan.User a, com.zlatan.Car b WHERE a.id = b.user.id AND a.id = :param0 AND TYPE(b) in (com.zlatan.CarTypeA)

This query previously worked in a much older version of Hibernate (3.5.6) and the documentation for Hibernate 4 still claims to support this. However, since migrating to Hibernate 5.1 it has stopped working.
Using an in-memory Hsqldb the query returns 0 results when I would expect some.
Using an Oracle database the query actually throws an error: "ORA-00918: column ambiguously defined)"

The generated SQL roughly equates to:
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT
  car1_.OBJECT_ID AS OBJECT_I1_190_,
  car1_.NAME AS NAME3_190_,
  car1_.clazz_ AS clazz_
FROM (SELECT
  OBJECT_ID,
  NAME,
  105 AS clazz_
FROM USERS) user0_
CROSS JOIN (SELECT
  OBJECT_ID,
  NAME,
  13 AS clazz_
FROM CARDTYPEA
UNION ALL
SELECT
  OBJECT_ID,
  NAME,
  14 AS clazz_
FROM CARDTYPEB
UNION ALL
SELECT
  OBJECT_ID,
  NAME,
  15 AS clazz_
FROM CARDTYPEC) car1_
WHERE user0_.OBJECT_ID = car1_.RACK_ID
AND user0_.OBJECT_ID = ?
AND (clazz_ IN (13))

I noticed in a previous version of Hibernate the "clazz_" mentioned in the where clause would usually have an alias, such as "carent1_.clazz_".
If I manually add the alias then the SQL will run fine. So it appears the HQL is not being converted correctly? (Or at least as I would expect previously).

Has this functionality been removed from Hibernate 5 or does this appear to be a bug?

Post subject: Re: Using Type(b) in the Where Clause
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:19 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The TYPE() function is still supported by HQL, as mentioned in the 5.1 docs.

One thing I noticed is that you are using an IN clause, while the HQL query could use an equality directive.
You should also use a JOIN because it's much more efficient on the DB-side:

Code:
SELECT
    DISTINCT b
FROM com.zlatan.Car
JOIN b.user a
WHERE
    a.id = :param0 AND TYPE(b) = com.zlatan.CarTypeA

If that's not working and the alias is not properly applied, then you need to open a JIRA issue and provide a replicating test case.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]