-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate support for Java 8 features
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 am 

Hi,

Can somebody please give me a overview on which Java 8 features are (or will be) covered in which Hibernate ORM version?
We are planning a major upgrade on our software architecture in context of Java 8.
I do know that since Hibernate 5 there is 'java8' support, but it's not clear to me which features are actual covered.

Second question: is it possible to enable (via extra libraries) all or some Java 8 features on Hibernate?

Post subject: Re: Java 8 features support
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:27 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There is a new module for Java 1.8 features:

Code:
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
    <artifactId>hibernate-java8</artifactId>
    <version>${hibernate.version}</version>
</dependency>

and it supports Java 1.8 Date/Time types.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:25 pm 

hi,

Thanks for that but i allready knew that. In fact, i've looked into the actual jar and imho it only contains types for JSR310 (date-time api).

But what about all other Java 8 features, what about: Optional, lambda's in queries, Stream(ing) opportunities in Results, maybe Parallel arrays, etc.
Isn't there some kind of summary/matrix which can indicatie, per feature, if it is supported and if so, in which hibernate version/artifact?

I actually need to decide, in context of Java 8 support, if it's worth upgrading to ORM 5.

If there is no consolidated overview or summary available (yet), i gladly welcome individual links too !

Kind regards,
And TIA!

-wil-
@WimLambrecht

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

That Jira issue is almost like a matrix. All in all, there is a plan to support Money and Currency.
Optional is not meant for Entities, as it's not Serializable. You can still use it in methods if you want.
Stream, you can use them with any Collection, just like with any other Java collection.

The best reason for migrating is the new feature list and the new User Guide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:21 am 

Ok, thank for the reply. I'll look into the Jira issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:31 am 

vlad wrote:
That Jira issue is almost like a matrix. All in all, there is a plan to support Money and Currency.
Optional is not meant for Entities, as it's not Serializable. You can still use it in methods if you want.
Stream, you can use them with any Collection, just like with any other Java collection.

The best reason for migrating is the new feature list and the new User Guide.

Are stream operations (e.g. filter) on lazy collections inside of entities translated to appropriate SQL queries as with Linq-To-NHibernate? If not, is such a feature planned? I couldn't find any information about this. Coming from a .NET background I noticed that this feature considerably eases DDD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Can you give me an example? Is it the list.stream().filter(...) kind of operation that you want to be optimized?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am 

Filter and maybe some other basic operations. NHiberante additionally supports OrderBy or Last and First for example. This is useful if an entity has a huge collection associated, but only ever wants specific items from the collection.

For example consider a User entity with associated Orders. Over time a user may accumulate a large amount of Orders, i.e. loading them into memory completely would be expensive. We are only ever interested in small subsets of the Orders, e.g. the newest three Orders. With NHibernate this could be done in business code by filtering the Orders collection in the User object, e.g.
Code:
this.Orders.Take(3)
to retrieve the desired subset and NHibernate would translate the LINQ calls to SQL as needed. This way the code is easily testable as it is more persistance ignorant and the domain objects need less orchestration code to perform the queries, e.g.
Code:
repository.retrieveNewestOrders()

Maybe I am just stuck to this way of thinking though. Suggestions for alternatives or improvements are also welcome :).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:10 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

But mapping huge collections is a code smell.

You are better off using a @ManyToOne side and just use a JPQL query with LIMIT clause.

We don't support Java 8 stream operations that translate to SQL clauses while fetching data from a Stream. We only support the Stream as a database cursor, but it's not as efficient as pagination.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the clarification! That answers all my questions

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]