-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Limited support for validation of normal-scoped CDI beans
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 am 

Currently, the spec does not forbid the field access strategy to be used for normal-scoped CDI beans (i.e. injected instances managed by the CDI container). However, this doesn't work because injectable references for normal-scoped beans are client proxies and not direct references to contextual instances (see also "6.5.3. Contextual reference for a bean" [1] and "5.4. Client proxies" [2]). The only solution would be to detect a client proxy and when encountered, use the underlying instance instead of attempting to validate the proxy object. Unfortunately, there is no portable way to detect and unwrap the client proxy. Moreover, there is no way in Java to delegate field access to the underlying instance - public fields are not allowed on normal-scoped CDI beans. So I would consider limiting support for validation of normal-scoped CDI beans. A note or a new entry in the FAQ might be enough.

[1]
http://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#contextual_reference
[2]
http://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#client_proxies

Post subject: Re: Limited support for validation of normal-scoped CDI beans
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:54 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I am not exactly following you. What exactly is not working in practice with Bean Validation + CDI in your opinion?
All BV implementations have provisions to work with Weld and its proxy based approach. We have been discussing it with the various implementors (there was a Bean Validation issue discussing this).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 am 

Hi Emmanuel,

if you have a normal-scoped bean with a field annotated with e.g. @NotNull (i.e. the field access strategy is used) the validation of an injected bean instance will always fail because proxy fields are never initialized. I've discovered this when working on [1]. On the other hand, if you annotate a method (property access strategy is used) Weld delegates to the underlying instance (i.e. appropriate getter is called).

Thanks,
Martin

[1]
http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/weld-dev/2015-May/003335.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Then I think you are talking about the problem I mentioned.
Check out the conversation here https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/BVTCK-69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:16 am 

I don't think this is exactly the same problem. BVTCK-69 is mainly talking about the workaround for javax.validation.Valid applied to a method. This use case is about having a normal-scoped bean with a field to be validated. So if you validate a client proxy (implemented as a subclass in Weld) the field access strategy simply does not work (proxy fields are never initialized).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Ok, that's a similar idea though. Let me discuss a but with Hardy and Gunnar.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]