-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Community
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am 

Is the hibernate community alive and well? I've asked several generic questions yesterday and didn't even receive a blink of an eye.

-- Robert

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Community
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 am 
Senior
Senior

As here is lots of spam, this community is not very active... I don't like scrolling through pages and pages of "cheap kitchen"-stuff or read posts from years ago where a spammer a**h*le answered with useless nonsense quotes and "cheap kitchen!!!! galore!11!!!one!eleven!!!!

The problem with your former questions is, that they are very general.
EJB3/Hibernate => answered a thousend times in the net,
Hibernate/JSF => nothing in common. persistence abstraction vs. presenation
Ibatis vs. Hibernate => that's like asking "should i buy a mercedes" at a BMW-Shop ;-)
Eclipse vs. Netbeans => IDE, not less, not more

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:12 pm 

I am getting the distinct impression that Hibernate has died. The code in the official documentation doesn't work, the only book to have been published in the last 5 years contains code that doesn't work, and this forum is dead. Talking to friends who use Hibernate in large industrial applications, they tell me they are looking for paths out of Hibernate because they think no one is maintaining it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm 

Thank you so much... so then, what's the alternative to Hibernate, that the industry is embracing right now? jOOQ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,
sorry but you're wrong. We've never been a larger and more active team, and working on many new great improvements, but also being a large and mature codebase it's a challenging task.

We try to help on the forums as well, but with thousands of spam questions or nonsense questions every day it's hard to keep up!

We need you all to help each other too. After all, it's free OSS and relies on volunteers for you to help each other out.

The problem if any, is that there's a large amount of activity and huge interest. We can't manage it alone.

New books are coming as well:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Java-Persistence-Hibernate-Christian-Bauer/dp/1617290459/

You can follow our blog to keep up to date on what we're doing:
http://in.relation.to/

Or just stay in touch in any way as described here:
http://hibernate.org/community/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:06 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hey guys,

Year. We would really love to move off that forum system to a more spam safe one. We just haven't had time to do it yet. It pains us as much as it does you :(
If you have found inaccurate documentation, open a jira ticket because as far as we know the examples are up to date with the latest version.

Our download numbers and usage are still very strong, so don't count on us being dead any time soon :)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:33 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This is surely a thing of the past. For a year now, there is no Spam on the forum and threads are answered in a timely fashion. Check out the latest threads and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Related to @ratgirlny comment

Quote:
I am getting the distinct impression that Hibernate has died. The code in the official documentation doesn't work, the only book to have been published in the last 5 years contains code that doesn't work, and this forum is dead. Talking to friends who use Hibernate in large industrial applications, they tell me they are looking for paths out of Hibernate because they think no one is maintaining it.

Hibernate is extremely active. Check out the GitHub activity graph. We rewrote the whole User Guide from scratch and the result is simply amazing.

As for books, in last 3 years there were at least 8 books about Hibernate that got published:

- High-Performance Java Persistence - 2016
- Beginning Hibernate: For Hibernate 5 (4th edition) - 2016
- Mastering Hibernate - 2016
- Spring Persistence with Hibernate (2nd edition) - 2016
- Java Persistence with Hibernate (2nd edition) - 2015
- Hibernate Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2nd edition) - 2015
- Beginning Hibernate (3rd edition) - 2014
- Just Hibernate: A Lightweight Introduction to the Hibernate Framework - 2014

I'm not sure which one contained outdated code, but you surely have a great choice of books to choose from. I can assure you that all the code in High-Performance Java Persistence works like a charm. You can even check it out yourself since it's on GitHub.

Not bad for a 16 years old framework, right?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]