-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: @NotNull with cascading
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 pm 

I continent-country-city entities (all different tables). I map both collections (Continent: List<Country> and Country: List<City>) as this:

Code:
@OneToMany(mappedBy="child", orphanRemoval=true, cascade=CascadeType.ALL)
   @Valid
   @NotNull
   @Size(min=1)

Lets say continent has 1 country and that country has 1 city in DB. I recreate exactly the same structure using 'new' keyword (with all ids set as if it was loaded from db). So I have 1 existing record on each level. Then I add to the collection of continent.countries new Country(new City) with some data set. When I try to call session.merge(continent) I'm getting a NotNull constraint error saying property cities can not be null. I think it complains about that newly created Country and its City. But If I remove that @NotNull constraint of the List<City> it works ok and populates a collection of List<City> cities with 1 record. So why does it complain at all?

In short:
session.merge(continent) updates existing countries and its cities. It also creates a newly added country and its newly added city. But it happens only when used without @NotNull on cities collection.

Post subject: Re: @NotNull with cascading
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:31 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

I'm not sure what's causing this issue. It would help to see the source code of your entities, in particular how the collection-typed members are initialized.

--Gunnar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]