-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Same Code different performance
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 pm 

Hi all,

do you have any suggestions how I can analyze Hibernate performance problems with the same code?

I've got a Java application which runs in the Tomcat and inserts data in the database. The laptop is about ten times faster then the server - what's be quit unusual.

Java: Java 1.6_18 64 bit, Java 1.6_30 bit
Tomcat: Tomcat 6, Tomcat 7
MySQL: MySQL 5.1.43, MySQL 5.5

The laptop contained the older version - the server the newer versions. When I install the old versions on the server it doesn't get faster. When I install the newer version on my laptop (VMWare image, except Tomcat) it's still factor 10 faster then the server.

I wrote a test program to compare the times how long it takes to insert something on my laptop and how long it takes on the server. Yet I don't have any ideas how to analyze it further.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Same Code different performance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:10 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Most likely your virtual machine doesn't execute fsync-calls, which results in a huge performance boost for write-intensive workload.
However in case of a system crash you may end up with a correupted database, so its not the way to go for production servers.

lg

Post subject: Re: Same Code different performance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:02 am 

How can I check if the disk access makes my program slowly?

I also tested it with another laptop (no VMWare) => fast. During this test I noticed that the disk of this laptop (without VMWare Image) is faster than the disk on the server (only for small files).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]