-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mass Indexer is extremely slow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 am 

Hi,
I'm trying to build my index with the massIndexer, and i'm facing some strange problems. The indexed entity is very simple (i.e. One numeric field for ID and one String field) to index. When I launch the massindexer with startAndWait() function, the indexing takes eternity !!! I have like 300 000 entity to index and i can see that massIndexer can only index like 200 entity per minutes. Plus, I noticed in the console log that the hibernate query are running fast at the start, but after few seconds, the console output doesn't show anything. i.e., the first hundred (maybe more, maybe less) requests are super fast, but then it's "blocked" for at least 20s to 1mn. And so on for the rest of the indexing.
I've got the same results with the start() function. The field are annotated by
Code:
@DocumentId
for my id, and
Code:
@Field(name = "raisonSociale_raw", index = Index.NO, store = Store.YES)
for the string field.

Here is the code i'm using for indexing.
c is the entity class I want to index .
Code:
MassIndexer mi = getFullTextSession().createIndexer(c);
          mi.batchSizeToLoadObjects(30)//
          .threadsForSubsequentFetching(4)// .threadsToLoadObjects(10)//
          .purgeAllOnStart(true)// .optimizeAfterPurge(true)//
          .optimizeOnFinish(true).startAndWait();//

inb4 "this is a connection pool problem", this is not, i've increased the number of connection to 30 for minimum and 100 for max.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Mass Indexer is extremely slow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,
what database is it?

Could you monitor your heap ? I guess it's running out of memory; you might need to adjust the JVM parameters to give it more memory, or reduce the number of threads.

If it's MySQL, then you need to set some options on the driver or that JDBC driver will attempt to load the whole database in memory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:43 am 
Regular
Regular

Are your hibernate relationships setted to lazy or not?

i had this problem i had to change all my relationships with lazy=true. Massindexer was so slow.

and more, i had to use the manual indexer:

http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/search/ ... index.html

Hibernator,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:46 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

the updated link is http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/search/ ... htoindexes

Hibernator, did you identify why the MassIndexer was slow for you? It is supposed to be significantly faster than the manual one, unless you' re loading a very small data set.

lazyness of relationship does affect the indexing performance, but not significantly, unless it's loading entities which are not needed for the indexing process.

More often the problem is with MySQL because of it's bugs on scrolling large resultsets.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]