-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Value of Index column not automatically incrementing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:09 pm 

Hi,
I'm new here but have started working on a project that will likely use Hibernate as its storage interface, and hopefully Search at a later date too.

To get familiar with Hibernate I'm going through this tutorial:
http://viralpatel.net/blogs/2011/12/hibernate-one-to-many-xml-mapping-tutorial.html

But Step 8 of the tutorial, the point at which a "list-index" column is added to the "employee" table, does not seem to work.
<list name="employees" table="employee" inverse="false" cascade="all">
<key column="department_id" />
<list-index column="idx" />
<one-to-many class="net.viralpatel.hibernate.Employee" />
</list>

The value of the "idx" column is not automatically incrementing...

This is what I get:

mysql> select * from employee;
+-------------+-----------+----------+------------+------------+---------------+-----+
| employee_id | firstname | lastname | birth_date | cell_phone | department_id | idx |
+-------------+-----------+----------+------------+------------+---------------+-----+
| 1 | Nina | Mayers | 1970-01-01 | 1212 | 115 | 0 |
| 2 | Tony | Almeida | 1970-01-01 | 4343 | 115 | 0 |

This is what the tutorial claims I should get:
mysql> select * from employee;
| employee_id | firstname | lastname | birth_date | cell_phone | department_id | idx |
| 1 | Nina | Mayers | 1970-01-01 | 1212 | 115 | 0 |
| 2 | Tony | Almeida | 1970-01-01 | 4343 | 115 | 1 |

All code and configuration has been taken directly from the linked tutorial, so I won't add more listings unless requested.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex

Post subject: Re: Value of Index column not automatically incrementing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 am 
Expert
Expert

Hm,

to me it looks, that this tutorial is simply wrong:
inverse="false" not only means that Department is relationship owner,
it also means that nothing of the relation should be stored in table employee.
Usually then a secondary table is created in the schema holding 3 columns: the primary key of Department , the primary key of employee, and the idx column.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]