-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Design question with many to many relations
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 pm 

Hi,

I'm quite newbie on Hibernate and i would ask you about my db design and if it's make sense or not according to what i would like to get.

Let's say i have two things to manage in my app: people and their relations.
So i have p1 and p2, my two guys. Two people could share several relationships simultaneoulsy: like coworkers, friends, etc.

So until now, i made two tables in my db:
people (people_uuid, name)
relationship (relation_uuid, people1, people2, relation_type)

In my people class, i would like to have a getRelations method, but here comes the trouble: the current guy could be in column people1 or people2 in my relation table, so i don't know how to set the mapping so that when i call my getRelations method, i get every relation (including relations where he's set in people1 column as much as those where he's set in people2 column).
How should i proceed to map this correctly? Is my db design correct, and does it fit to what i want to do with Hibernate?

Thank you very much by advance,

SJ.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]