-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: [Hibernate Annotation] How to ignore a child/relation update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:00 pm 

Greetings,

One simple question, lets say I have classes:

[A] 1-----* [B]

and i have it annotated this way:

Code:
@Entity
class A implements Serializable
{
    @OneToMany(fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
    @JoinTable(name="JOIN_TABLE", joinColumns=@JoinColumn(name="A_ID"), inverseJoinColumns=@JoinColumn(name="B_ID"))
    public Set<B> getBs() {
    }
}

@Entity
class B implements Serializable
{
}

And I wish to update class A, but I don't want to perform any modification in class B when updating it through the class A DAO, (please note that I'm using spring 3 and transactional management at implementing services) that it goes like:

Code:

@Service("aService")
public class A_ServiceImpl implements A_Service {

@Autowired
    private A_DAO aDao;

@Transactional(propagation= Propagation.REQUIRED, readOnly=false)
    public void updateA(A a)
    {
        aDao.update(a);       
    }
}

@Repository("aDao")
public class A_DAOImpl implements A_DAO {
@Autowired
private SessionFactory sessionFactory;

public void update(A a)
{
   Session session = sessionFactory.getCurrentSession();         
   session.update(user);
}
}

If I go ahead and execute the update from X place, I get:
Quote:
org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing

This can be corrected changing the association annotation to perform cascading, like:

Code:
@OneToMany(fetch=FetchType.EAGER, cascade=CascadeType.ALL)
@JoinTable(name="JOIN_TABLE", joinColumns=@JoinColumn(name="A_ID"), inverseJoinColumns=@JoinColumn(name="B_ID"))
public Set<B> getBs() {
}

and this is all right if I wished to perform a modification of both classes, but in my case, I want the update operation to ignore class B and leave class B's table intact, I have tried including insertable=false, updatable=false, but it stills tries to perform an update in class B.

The root cause that I want the immutability at the update is because class B also has a many-to-one to class C, and class C has a another many-to-one to class D, and if I specify cascading (SAVE_UPDATE / ALL), when performing the update of class A, a duplication of class D (or insertion of a new record containing the same data) will be saved in the database with a new ID and causing constraint violation on unique columns; I also tried adding insertable=false, updatable=false to the many-to-one relation in class B and C but this seems to be ignored some how, this is how I annotated class B, and class C

Code:

@Entity
class B implements Serializable
{
@ManyToOne(cascade=CascadeType.ALL)
@JoinColumn(name="JOIN_TABLE_BC")     
public C getC() {
}

class C implements Serializable
{
@ManyToOne
@JoinColumn(name="JOIN_TABLE_CD", insertable=false, updatable=false)     
public D getD() {
}

please help, I presently don't have a generous person to place a pair of fresh eyes

regards

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]