-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Detached Entity on Cascade of Persist operation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:18 pm 

I am using Hibernate 3, and having a particular issue when persisting a new Entity which has an association with an existing detached entity. Easiest way to explain this is via code samples. I have two entities, FooEntity and BarEntity, of which a BarEntity can be associated with many FooEntity:

Code:
@Entity
public class FooEntity implements Foo{

@Id
   private Long id;

@ManyToOne(targetEntity = BarEntity.class)
   @JoinColumn(name = "bar_id", referencedColumnName = "id")
   @Cascade(value={CascadeType.SAVE_UPDATE})
   private Bar bar;   

}

@Entity
public class BarEntity implements Bar{

@Id
   private Long id;

@OneToMany(mappedBy = "bar", targetEntity = FooEntity.class)
   private Set<Foo> foos;
}

Foo and Bar are interfaces that loosely define getters for the various fields. There are corresponding FooImpl and BarImpl classes that are essentially just the entity objects without the annotations. What I am trying to do is construct a new instance of FooEntity, and persist it. the new Foo instance will have its 'bar' member set to an existing Bar Entity from the database. This works fine if that is all I am doing. The wrinkle here is we are using Apache Dozer to map between our domain objects (like FooImpl) and our Entities (FooEntity).

While performing the Mapping, new Instances of FooEntity and BarEntity are created, and the appropriate fields are set. The returned FooEntity then has a field bar of BarEntity which is detached. When the mapped FooEntity object is then passed to the Session to persist, the exception:

Code:
org.hibernate.PersistentObjectException: detached entity passed to persist: com.company.entity.BarEntity

is thrown. This all occurs within the same transaction. Below is in code the steps that are occurring

Code:
FooImpl foo = new FooImpl();
//returns at runtime a persistent BarEntity through session.get()
Bar bar = BarService.getBar(1L);
foo.setBar(bar);

//This constructs a new instance of FooEntity, with a member 'bar' which itself is a new instance that is detached)
FooEntity entityToPersist = dozerMapper.map(foo, FooEntity.class);

session.persist(entityToPersist);

I have been able to resolve this issue by either removing or changing the @Cascade annotation, but that limits future use for say adding a new Foo with a new Bar attached to it already. Is there some solution here I am missing? I would be surprised if this issue hasn't been solved somewhere before.

Post subject: Re: Detached Entity on Cascade of Persist operation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:25 pm 
Regular
Regular

You need to associate the bar you get from BarService.getBar(1L) with your new session. It looks like BarService is using its own separate session, so the Bar object it returns is detached relative to the session you want to use to create a new Foo. After BarService.getBar(1L) returns, you should be able to do a "bar = session.merge( bar )", then proceed as normal. This will cause a database hit in addition to the one that BarService does to fetch the object itself, but it should solve your detached instance issue.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]