-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: one-to-one bidirectional association results in n+1 selects
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:25 pm 

I have found a lot of threads on this but none with any resolution of the issue.

Succinctly, the problem is that with one-to-one bidirectional associations Hibernate for some reason will retrieve the other end of the association individually for each entity returned, i.e. you get n+1 selects. Yuck.

I'm running Hibernate 3.6.0 (on MySQL, but I don't think that matters). My model is:

Code:
@Entity
class Parent {
   @Id @GeneratedValue
   private long id;

@OneToOne( mappedBy = "parent" )
   private Child child;
}

@Entity
class Child {
   @Id @GeneratedValue
   private long id;

@OneToOne( optional = false )
   @JoinColumn( name = "parent_id" )
   private Parent parent;
}

(getters and setters omitted for brevity)

Let's say I do something nice and simple like:

Code:
session.createQuery("from Parent").list();

I would expect to see a query like "select * from Parent left outer join Child on Parent.id = Child.parent_id", which gets us everything we need. Instead, Hibernate does this:

Hibernate: select parent0_.id as id12_ from Parent parent0_
Hibernate: select child0_.id as id13_1_, child0_.parent_id as parent2_13_1_, parent1_.id as id12_0_ from Child child0_ inner join Parent parent1_ on child0_.parent_id=parent1_.id where child0_.parent_id=?
Hibernate: select child0_.id as id13_1_, child0_.parent_id as parent2_13_1_, parent1_.id as id12_0_ from Child child0_ inner join Parent parent1_ on child0_.parent_id=parent1_.id where child0_.parent_id=?

i.e. let's get a list of all of the parents (there are 5 in the database), and then individually select each child.

Similar behavior happens for "from Child", but even worse - there are now TWO queries for each of the four children:

Hibernate: select child0_.id as id13_, child0_.parent_id as parent2_13_ from Child child0_
Hibernate: select parent0_.id as id12_1_, child1_.id as id13_0_, child1_.parent_id as parent2_13_0_ from Parent parent0_ left outer join Child child1_ on parent0_.id=child1_.parent_id where parent0_.id=?
Hibernate: select parent0_.id as id12_1_, child1_.id as id13_0_, child1_.parent_id as parent2_13_0_ from Parent parent0_ left outer join Child child1_ on parent0_.id=child1_.parent_id where parent0_.id=?

If I say "from Parent as parent left join fetch parent.child", I get the behavior I expected:

Hibernate: select parent0_.id as id12_0_, child1_.id as id13_1_, child1_.parent_id as parent2_13_1_ from Parent parent0_ left outer join Child child1_ on parent0_.id=child1_.parent_id

Okay, fine, it's somewhat obnoxious to have to make sure I left join fetch the child in every query (especially if there are multiple one-to-one associations), but whatever. There should be a better way to do this. And I still haven't figured out how to do this for Child - the analogous query only cuts the number of queries by half. I want to do this in one query.

Does anyone know why this happens, and a consistent way to prevent it?

PS: I don't care about lazily loading child, as many of the other people posting about this do - I just don't want to run one query for each row in my table!

Post subject: Re: one-to-one bidirectional association results in n+1 selects
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 am 

No one knows anything about this?

Post subject: Re: one-to-one bidirectional association results in n+1 selects
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:41 pm 

I have finally succumbed and done the awful, horrible thing that Hibernate forces me to: replacing the parent attribute with a ManyToOne that only ever has 0 or 1 elements. There is absolutely no conceivable reason why I should have to do this. I have found tons of posts in this forum, on StackOverflow, etc. with this same issue - it's apparently been around since at least version 3.0 - but I've never seen a developer acknowledge it.

Particularly galling is the fact that OneToOne associations literally ignore the @Fetch annotation. At query time the value is just discarded. (I looked through the source.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]