-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about FetchType.LAZY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm 

EntityOne has a reference to EntityTwo, and EntityTwo has a reference to EntityThree. All three relationships are defined as follows:
Code:
   @ManyToOne(cascade = {}, fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
   @JoinColumn(name = "XX", unique = false, nullable = false, insertable = true, updatable = true)

In my code, I am trying to get to EntityThree this way:
Code:
entityOne.getEntityTwo().getEntityThree()

If I use FetchType.EAGER, this works perfectly. If I use LAZY, entityOne.getEntityTwo() returns a proxy, and getEntityThree() then fails:
Code:
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session
    at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:57)
    at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:111)
    at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBLazyInitializer.invoke(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:150)
    at com.ibi.entity.price.OperatingSystem$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$cee9d0f8.toString(<generated>)

Originally I had FetchType.EAGER, but I thought I'd switch to LAZY to improve performance (as EntityOne has a number of @ManyToOne relationships, and I usually don't need them all at any one time.) Clearly I am missing something elemental in how LAZY should work, and/or my coding technique is incorrect. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Post subject: Re: Question about FetchType.LAZY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm 

ibstmt wrote:
EntityOne has a reference to EntityTwo, and EntityTwo has a reference to EntityThree. All three relationships are defined as follows:
Code:
   @ManyToOne(cascade = {}, fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
   @JoinColumn(name = "XX", unique = false, nullable = false, insertable = true, updatable = true)

In my code, I am trying to get to EntityThree this way:
Code:
entityOne.getEntityTwo().getEntityThree()

If I use FetchType.EAGER, this works perfectly. If I use LAZY, entityOne.getEntityTwo() returns a proxy, and getEntityThree() then fails:
Code:
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session
    at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:57)
    at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:111)
    at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.cglib.CGLIBLazyInitializer.invoke(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:150)
    at com.ibi.entity.price.OperatingSystem$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$cee9d0f8.toString(<generated>)

Originally I had FetchType.EAGER, but I thought I'd switch to LAZY to improve performance (as EntityOne has a number of @ManyToOne relationships, and I usually don't need them all at any one time.) Clearly I am missing something elemental in how LAZY should work, and/or my coding technique is incorrect. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm not sure but can you just force the entityTwo to become a real object by referencing a method or something and then do the getEntityThree()?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 pm 

Nope, that doesn't do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,
When you are trying to get entityOne.getEntityTwo() , as you said hibernate will return proxy. The proxy holds a reference of session object which was jused to fetch entity two. Now if that session is closed before you call getEntityThree(), you will get LazyInitializationException.

In case of Eager , real object and not proxy is returned and hence things will work fine.

Just suremake you keep the session open and you won't get this error.

Thanks
-Vishal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am 

How do I keep the session open when I'm executing objectOne.getObjectTwo().getObjectThree()?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 am 
Beginner
Beginner

You must have opened the session while fetching the objectOne. Don't close that session, when you are calling one.getTwo.getThree.

Thanks
-Vishal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am 

gaur wrote:
You must have opened the session while fetching the objectOne. Don't close that session, when you are calling one.getTwo.getThree.

Thanks
-Vishal

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. We are using Hibernate and Seam. I don't open or close sessions.

Well, let me amend that: I inject EntityManager into my EJB. That is standard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:07 am 

comment removed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]