-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Where is the best place to store many to many relationships
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:56 pm 

Hello all,
I was wondering where the best place to create many to many relationships was? Fro example if I have something like
Code:
   public class permission()
   {
        permission()
        {
               user = new HashSet<User>();
               categories = new HashSet<Categories>();
        }
   }

is that better than doing something in the DAO like (and leaving the many to many relationship out of the permission class)
Code:
      List<Permission> getPermissionsForUser(Long id)
      {
              //get permissions for the user from the many to many table and return that as a list
       }

This is more of a which design is better question. If for example there is a permission like canUpdateContractPhone which doesn't apply to the categories then having an empty hashSet doesn't seam as effective as searching for the results and returning it from a DAO pattern. Or am I completely off?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]