-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Howto make Hibernate re-use already executed queries?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I've a quite complex piece of buissness-logic which executes quite a lot of database queries and because of that is painfully slow.
What I've done in some areas is to replace database-queries with HashMaps, fetching all data at the beginning into a HashMap,
and looking up the actually needed result by key. However thats a really bad thing for code-quality and maintainability :/

Is there some way to make hibernate re-use the results from an already executed query, if its obvious that it already has all the looked-up'ed items loaded before?

Something like:
Code:
   manager.createQuery("From Booking b WHERE b.nrOfTickets > 0 AND b.nrOfTickets < 100").getResultList();
   for(int i=1; i < 10; i++) {
      manager.createQuery("From Booking b WHERE b.nrOfTickets ="+i+"").getResultList(); //No need to ask the database
   }

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Post subject: Re: Howto make Hibernate re-use already executed queries?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:29 am 
Beginner
Beginner

You can use the second level cache and then make your query cacheable by calling query.setCacheable(true).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, but that only works if you execute the same query over and over, which is not the case.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 am 
Regular
Regular

You can use filters to narrow your resultset, but you are asking that Hibernate should interpreter your query and figure out if it should or should not execute, that's up to yourself.

Hibernate does make sure not to load the same entity 2 times using the session cache.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Dencel,

Do you know whats the "standard"-way of solving the too-many-queries-because-of-too-oop-heavy-code?
My code is OOP-heavy, e.g. calculating one item at a time - and because of the complexity of the buissness logic I don't dare to mess arround and destroy its structure.

Thanks, Clemens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
Yes, but that only works if you execute the same query over and over, which is not the case.

no, it's way more powerful. make sure you make the entities cacheable by PK, and collection relations cacheable, and queries too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'll give it a try - Thanks!

- Clemens

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]