-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Validate one by one
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 am 

Hi all,

I have a bean as following. Shortly, I am validating it and all I am printing all validation errors to screen. However before validating next one, I just want to validate in ordered sequence.

Code:
public class AccountBean {

@NotEmpty(groups = PersonalOrderChecks.class, message = "{xxx.account.cc}")
  @IsCardBannedNumber(groups = PersonalOrderChecks.class, message = "{xxx.constraints.bannedCCNumber}")
  @IsValidCardNumber(groups = PersonalOrderChecks.class, message = "{xxx.account.invalidCardNumber}")
   private String creditCart;

///////
}

I am validating like this

Code:
Set<ConstraintViolation<Object>> constraintViolationSet = validator.validate(object, groups());

In our case I want to validate first of all NotEmpty then IsCardBannedNumber then IsValidCardNumber.... But at most I want to see just one error or instead of "Set<ConstraintViolation<Object>>" I want an ordered error set ... How can I do this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Validate one by one
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

To solve your problem you have to look at two things. First the @GroupSequence annotation. Per default the validation order is undetermined. To enforce an order you have to create an interface like so:

Code:
@GroupSequence({NotEmpty.class, IsCardBannedNumber.class, IsValidCardNumber.class})
public interface OrderedChecks {
}

and then validate like so:

Code:
Set<ConstraintViolation<Object>> constraintViolationSet = validator.validate(object, OrderedChecks.class);

If you only want to have one single error you should look at the composing constraint feature. You would have to build a new constraint called for example @ValidCreditCard. Check the online documentation for composing constraints. Once you have a custom constraint you can use @ReportAsSingleViolation annotation to only report a single violation.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:27 pm 

Dear Hardy,

Thanks for your answer. I understood the first part. But I have a little problem understanding second part. When I am using ReportAsSingleViolation, which validation message will be shown? Because in this example
I can see that it has own message?

Thanks

hardy.ferentschik wrote:
To solve your problem you have to look at two things. First the @GroupSequence annotation. Per default the validation order is undetermined. To enforce an order you have to create an interface like so:

Code:
@GroupSequence({NotEmpty.class, IsCardBannedNumber.class, IsValidCardNumber.class})
}

and then validate like so:

Code:
Set<ConstraintViolation<Object>> constraintViolationSet = validator.validate(object, OrderedChecks.class);

If you only want to have one single error you should look at the composing constraint feature. You would have to build a new constraint called for example @ValidCreditCard. Check the online documentation for composing constraints. Once you have a custom constraint you can use @ReportAsSingleViolation annotation to only report a single violation.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:48 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

That's correct. If you use @ReportAsSingleViolation you will get the error message of the composed constraint (not the error messages from the failing constraints). I just mentioned @ReportAsSingleViolation for completeness.

I also noticed that I made a mistake in my example. So here is the right version:
Code:
public class AccountBean {
   @NotEmpty(groups = First.class, message = "{xxx.account.cc}")
   @IsCardBannedNumber(groups = Second.class, message = "{xxx.constraints.bannedCCNumber}")
   @IsValidCardNumber(groups = Third.class, message = "{xxx.account.invalidCardNumber}")
   private String creditCart;
}

Code:
@GroupSequence({First.class, Second.class, Third.class})
}

Code:

As side effect you will only get a single violation if something goes wrong. If for example @IsCardBannedNumber fails the validation will terminate without evaluating @IsValidCardNumber.

Sorry about the wrong example earlier.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 pm 

Hi,

1 ) But what If I want to use messages of constraints instead of compound constraint message?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

In the previous example I am not using composed constraints. I am just using the groups feature in conjunction with @GroupSequence.

Composed constraint come in to play, when you would like to encapsulate the three constraints you are currently placing on the string into a single constraint like @MyCreditCardCheck. If you within the MyCreditCardCheck annotation define @ReportAsSingleVioation you would only get the error message of defined in the annotation. However, this is optional. Without @ReportAsSingleVioation the errors from the composing constraints gets propagated.

Are things clearer now?

--hardy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 am 

hardy.ferentschik wrote:
In the previous example I am not using composed constraints. I am just using the groups feature in conjunction with @GroupSequence.

Composed constraint come in to play, when you would like to encapsulate the three constraints you are currently placing on the string into a single constraint like @MyCreditCardCheck. If you within the MyCreditCardCheck annotation define @ReportAsSingleVioation you would only get the error message of defined in the annotation. However, this is optional. Without @ReportAsSingleVioation the errors from the composing constraints gets propagated.

Are things clearer now?

--hardy

Hi,

I understood clearly everything but I have a still problem

Code:

@Documented
@Constraint(validatedBy = { })
@Target({ METHOD, FIELD, ANNOTATION_TYPE, CONSTRUCTOR, PARAMETER })
@Retention(RUNTIME)
@ReportAsSingleViolation
@NotNull
@Size(min = 1)
public @interface NotEmpty {
   String message() default "{org.hibernate.validator.constraints.NotEmpty.message}";

Class<?>[] groups() default { };

Class<? extends Payload>[] payload() default { };
}

In case a error, It is raising error message of "org.hibernate.validator.constraints.NotEmpty.message", but I want to delegate this error message to checked constraints. For example, in case a NotNull error, I want to show its error message.

I hope that my question is clear?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:34 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You would have to remove @ReportAsSingleViolation. Of course you cannot do this in the built-in NotEmpty constraint. If you need this functionality for the NotEmpty constraint you will have to create a MyNotEmpty constraint.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]