-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Problem with Hibernet Tools in Eclipse Galileo under Ubuntu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:16 pm 

Hi.

I've a little problem concerning Hibernet Tools in Eclipse Galileo. After installing Hibernet Tools trough the update site http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/stable using a untouched eclipse folder with the following Build id: 20090619-0625, nothing really happens. I don't get any Hibernet related options nor wizards of any kind.

I've checked the installed programs dialogue in Eclipse and it says:
Code:
Hibernate Tools 3.2.4.GA-R200905070146-H18 org.hibernate.eclipse.feature.feature.group

I've restarted Eclipse with -clean and then -debug and checked the error log messages which is completely empty.

Also, Eclipse is located in
Code:
/usr/local/eclipse

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Anders Johansson

Post subject: Re: Problem with Hibernet Tools in Eclipse Galileo under Ubuntu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

what does the log says when running eclipse with -debug ?

in any case, stable is targeting Ganymede not Galileo. Use the development site or nightly build if you want to run with Galileo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm 

Thanks. I missed that the stable release was Ganymede only. Everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 am 
Senior
Senior

max wrote:
in any case, stable is targeting Ganymede not Galileo.

Oh, good to know.

Can you make stable refuse to install on Galileo then?
Or whatever "the right way" for handling this kind of dependency is for an Eclipse plugin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:43 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Got a patch ? :)

I actually got it as a general thing we need to do in JBoss Tools 3.0.x branch - but not been able to get it done yet since it varies across the various plugins what they actually can and cannot do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:40 am 
Senior
Senior

max wrote:
Got a patch ? :)

I'd love to, but I'm still struggling to understand how to use Eclipse.
Even understanding Eclipse's plugin architecture is still ahead on the learning curve.
(One of the things I'd love to do would be running the Hibernate plugin in the debugger, but I haven't seen a Howto for that.)

max wrote:
I actually got it as a general thing we need to do in JBoss Tools 3.0.x branch - but not been able to get it done yet since it varies across the various plugins what they actually can and cannot do.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Some improvements are a lot of pain for relatively little gain, and there's always so much other stuff to do :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:11 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
(One of the things I'd love to do would be running the Hibernate plugin in the debugger, but I haven't seen a Howto for that.)

If I wrote one would you use it to do good ? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 am 
Senior
Senior

max wrote:
Joachim Durchholz wrote:

If I wrote one would you use it to do good ? :)

Yes.
If you find a URL with the instructions, you wouldn't even need to write one :)

I'll need to transform my "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" install to one that can debug plug-ins such as Hibernate Tools. Googling for Howtos like that tends to give results that are anecdotal, out of date, inappropriate, or any combination thereof, so I gave up on that search.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 am 
Senior
Senior

Is there an easy way to determine what settings were changed and plugins installed since install?
Redoing these things with every Eclipse update is a pain, I'd like to avoid that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

Looks good, the "User Preferences" section seems to be just what I need.
(I didn't know that this dialog existed. Eclipse is in many ways still a land of wonders for me...)

I don't know how to inject these into a new Eclipse installation. Any clues?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 am 
Senior
Senior

The language on the Eclipse plug-in installer says that installing "Eclipse RCP" ist what the plug-in developer needs.
On Eclipse Galileo, that is under Help - Install new Software - Work with: EPP Packages Repository (connect to http://download.eclipse.org/technology/ ... es/galileo under the "Available Software Sites" link if not available) - Uncategorized / EPP RCP Feature.

Generally, the needed feature is "Plug-in Development Environment", a.k.a. PDE.

[UPDATE]
Seems all to work nicely, but how do I set up a Plug-in development project with the Hibernate Tools in it? The New Project wizard just gives me too many options to explore them all and determine which is the right one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 am 
Senior
Senior

Eclipse does not find any project in the source directory.

I tried http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/hibernat ... eExt/tools and
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/hibernate/trunk/ .

Eclipse wouldn't find a project in either download, probably because the usual project infrastructure (most notably the .project file) is missing.

Not a surprise actually - .project is listed in the svn:ignore property (and, less importantly so for the concrete use case, in .cvsignore).
There are more file exclusions, both on the same directory (e.g. .classpath) and on subdirectories (e.g. build.properties). I guess some of them will turn out to be obstacles as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:32 am 
Senior
Senior

vyemialyanchyk wrote:
here is necessary to create the project by hands...

Drat. I've spent too much time over this already, this is the last straw.
Pity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:32 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

File > New Java Project > Use existing directory and eclipse includes it.

If that does not work then we got a problem - but I didn't see a problem when I tried it just now on a clean checkout ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:47 am 
Senior
Senior

vyemialyanchyk wrote:
may be you give up too easily?

I can't say my experience has been pleasurable. I had expected to introduce Hibernate, spend a week or two dealing with the inevitable tweaking and configuring, and be done with it.
I'm currently tallying several person-weeks and counting.
The worst thing here is the docs. I'm on reverse engineering, Java SE and using annotations (which were announced as the Next Great Thing), just to find out that all the docs are written with forward engineering, Java EE and .xml files in mind. To add insult to injury, there's some fine print neither annotations nor reverse engineering can do everything that .xml can.

I'm not sure that I'd use Hibernate if I had known beforehand. I know it has a lot of things under the hood that I couldn't duplicate easily, but the initial barriers are extremely high and extremely expensive to scale.
To set up a new project for Hibernate today, I'd recommend either having a Hibernate guru on the team, or hiring one for a week (at least).
vyemialyanchyk wrote:
just a question why this is necessary for you?
if you wants to contributes, you should spend a time to study how it works internally...
as I remember, it takes a couple of days to install environment,
the main problem here - put sources in proper place, for this just necessary to observe
configuration of the paths... only you could configure this on your machine...

Paths can be made relative to the project. (Keep the jars etc. in a directory inside the project tree.)

max wrote:
File > New Java Project > Use existing directory and eclipse includes it.

Ah.
I was trying Import... > Project, which didn't work.
Then I tried File > New Project > Plug-in Project, which wouldn't work either.

Unfortunately, the project is not self-contained. It is missing ant.jar, and I have no idea which version to install (and I'm not going to install some arbitrary ant.jar and end up in jar hell).

Also, I spent some time fiddling with the compiler settings to get the warning count from 2600+ to a more sane 158.

There should really be a .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs file in the repository.
What's also missing is a .project file (for File > Import...).
A renamed copy of .classpath would help, too. At least I'd notice what .jars I'm missing, even if they happen to reside on another path than what I have.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next