-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: multilingual db mapping mistery - request for help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:14 am 

Hi.

I'd like to ask you for help to restore some mistery that I can't figure out for a long time:

I have a table MyTable with
integer id, string name
and a few localized columns that holds a localized strings.
Let they be name_fr,name_ru,.... each representing localized
name

I'd like to map some superclass MyClass and a buch of subclasses MyClass_ru, MyClass_en, each overriding the mapping of name property, mapping it to column appropriate for given language. I do want them to be instances of MyClass but I don't want "from MyClass" to return the subclasses instances, but only the MyClass ones.

Could you please help me with this? Or may be there is a more natural way to solve multilingual problem? The main requirement is to be able to bring a localized strings according to given locale, transparently from user...

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:56 am 
Senior
Senior

You might call me crazy but, if myclass_en is a subclass of myclass. Then you are returning an instance of myclass. Just cast the object to myclass

MyClass newMyClass = (MyClass)myclass_en;

What is the special case where this does not work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:55 pm 

Well, MyClass supposed to be not just superclass but a concrete mapped one that holds default mappings, and subclasses only override a field or 2...

That's the case... Returning a subclasses on "from MyClass" is ruining this intention :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

I might have misunderstood you.

What you want to be able to do is make a query like

FROM MyClass

But instead of returning MyClass you want to return MyClassEn or MyClassFr depending on the configuration of the record in the database?

This is not possible that I know of unless you make seperate queries to the database specifically requesting each one. If I am understanding you correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 pm 

Yes, that's what I wanted...
Anyway, I've found a kind of solution. MyClass shall not be declared as an Entity itself but rather be a superclass without concreate mapping itself. The mapped ones are subclasses like MyClassEn, MyClassFr, MyClassRu and we shall query against them, according to whatever locale we want.

Thanks,
Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Yeah I think that is the best way to go about it, I am glad you found a solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]