-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Parent/Child mapping of value type object
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 pm 

Hi,

I am having difficulties understanding mapping parent/child relationships using embedded value type objects, i'll try to explain my situation:

Parent
parent_id -> PK

Child
parent_id -> FK to Parent
covid

In Child parent_id and covid is a composite PK, the child table has more columns, some of which are nullable. There is a one-to-many relationship between parent and child. A parent cannot have more than one child with the same covid. I have been reading the book Java Persistence with Hibernate and it states that to use child as en embedded value type object all columns must be a composite primary key but thats not my case as the composite key is parent_id and covid, also it says I could add a surrogate key to the table to avoid this but I cannot modify the schema. Is there a way I can create this relationship without making child a full entity?

Thanks,
Angel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:08 pm 
Regular
Regular

The value type belongs to an entity, and its persistent state is embedded in the table row of the owning entity. So I think Child can't be a value type since it has its own table.

LinHib.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 am 

I think you're right when it comes to the jpa spec, but hibernate does allow this through the CollectionOfElements annotation if I'm not mistaken.

-Angel

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]