-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Solved] Can't read database schema with MS SQL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:47 am 

Hello !

First of all, please exuse me if there's somewhere an answer to my questions, but after some hours on google i haven't found it. But you can prove me that i don't know how to search on google -in which case i guess i'll look for some tutorials :D.

Well, before going to the questionning part, you may wanna know which version of hibernate i use. In fact, i'm trying to run hibernate3 -hibernate tools 3.2.4 CR2- with eclipse ganymede and MS SQL Server 2005.

My issue is kinda simple, but very annoying. When i want to see my tables, in my hibernate configuration, i got this error : "Problem while reading database schema"
Here is the stack trace :
Code:
org.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: Getting database metadata
   at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:74)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.dialect.AbstractMetaDataDialect.getMetaData(AbstractMetaDataDialect.java:64)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.dialect.AbstractMetaDataDialect.caseForSearch(AbstractMetaDataDialect.java:163)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.dialect.JDBCMetaDataDialect.getTables(JDBCMetaDataDialect.java:22)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.JDBCReader.processTables(JDBCReader.java:476)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.JDBCReader.readDatabaseSchema(JDBCReader.java:74)
   at org.hibernate.eclipse.console.workbench.LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter$2.execute(LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter.java:114)
   at org.hibernate.console.execution.DefaultExecutionContext.execute(DefaultExecutionContext.java:64)
   at org.hibernate.eclipse.console.workbench.LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter.readDatabaseSchema(LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter.java:105)
   at org.hibernate.eclipse.console.workbench.LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter.getChildren(LazyDatabaseSchemaWorkbenchAdapter.java:61)
   at org.hibernate.eclipse.console.workbench.BasicWorkbenchAdapter.fetchDeferredChildren(BasicWorkbenchAdapter.java:105)
   at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:234)
   at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://DBSRV.oneid.fr\\TEST;DatabaseName="rh";SelectMethod=cursor
   at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
   at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
   at org.hibernate.connection.DriverManagerConnectionProvider.getConnection(DriverManagerConnectionProvider.java:110)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.dialect.AbstractMetaDataDialect.getConnection(AbstractMetaDataDialect.java:122)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.reveng.dialect.AbstractMetaDataDialect.getMetaData(AbstractMetaDataDialect.java:61)
   ... 11 more

I tried with some drivers (jTDS, Microsoft and an old Microsoft one that worked some days ago) and i got the same result; so, since i added thoses drivers -one at a time- in my project and my classpath i think my problem comes from the hibernate.cfg.xml
So here is this file in which i replaced the password by some stars ;):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC
      "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD 3.0//EN"
      "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd">
<hibernate-configuration>
    <session-factory>
        <property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver</property>
        <property name="hibernate.connection.password">******</property>
        <property name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:sqlserver://DBSRV.oneid.fr\\TEST;DatabaseName=rh;SelectMethod=cursor</property>
        <property name="hibernate.connection.username">apexrh</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect</property>
    </session-factory>
</hibernate-configuration>

Please note that tere is no mapping for now, for i want to generate the classes from the tables.
I hope someone can help me to figure out what i have forgotten to configure.

Regards

Last edited by L.C. Wild on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 am 
Expert
Expert

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found error occurs when the driver class was loaded but the syntax for the connection URL is not right.

I dont have much idea on MSSQL server connection urls. But just a wild guess. May be the issue is with the "\\" of "\\TEST". Try making it a single \. Escaping \ in xml doc is not need as you are entering it as free text and not an attribute value.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 am 

God ! That was this little thing. I do hate being stuck for hours because of such things.

So, this is working now; but i got some new issue identificating the user. But i think my problem comes from the server for i can't connect through SQL Server Management Studio either.

Well, i'll take a closer look at that after saying how much i'm glad you helped me : thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 am 
Expert
Expert

Rating is welcome... ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:13 am 

I was about to do so :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]