-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: JPQL: join with unmapped tables
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:25 am 

hi

is it possible with jpql (hibernate here) to join to an unmapped table ?
i need to retrieve entities, that match some criteria with an unmapped table (ids, here). yes i know, i can use native queries, but in that case i´d have to create all the other joins myself (which is what the JPA normally does for me).

an example:

jpql query:
Code:
SELECT a FROM Article a WHERE a.author.name='Peter';

what i need would be something liek that:
Code:
SELECT a FROM Article a JOIN someUnmappedTable t on a.id=t.id WHERE a.author.name='Peter';

or even something like
Code:
SELECT a FROM Article a WHERE a.author.name='Peter' AND a.id IN (SELECT id FROM someUnmappedTable)

creating an bogus Entity for that unmapped table works, but isn´t an option (because i would load tons of data from there, which i do not need)

Using latest Hibernate with Entitymanager.

cu uwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 am 
Expert
Expert

No it's not possible.

Mapping another entity would be the right solution. I don't understand why you say that you would load tons of data:
Code:
SELECT a FROM Article a JOIN someMappedTable t WHERE a.author.name='Peter';

would not cause a load of the other entity unless you have specified fetch-type as eager.

Post subject: Bogus Entity, that should not be loaded
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:44 am 

mmerder wrote:
No it's not possible.

Mapping another entity would be the right solution. I don't understand why you say that you would load tons of data

well, what i did was this:
Code:
@Entity
public class News implements Serializable{
    @Entity
    public static class NewsIndex  {
      @Id int id; String query;
       // some col mappings...
    }

@OneToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
    @PrimaryKeyJoinColumn(name = "id", referencedColumnName = "id")
    private NewsIndex fullTextIndex = null;

// main entity mappings...

when i now query this:
Code:
SELECT o FROM News o JOIN o.fullTextIndex txt WHERE txt.query='foo'

then hibernate does the proper join query, but afterwards loads the index entities as well:

Code:
Hibernate: select news0_.id as id2_, news0_.version as version2_, news0_.lastModified as lastModi3_2_, news0_.author_id as author8_2_, news0_.created as created2_, news0_.deleted as deleted2_, news0_.headline as headline2_, news0_.plainText as plainText2_ from News news0_ inner join idxNews news_newsi1_ on news0_.id=news_newsi1_.id where news_newsi1_.query='dortmund'
[...]
Hibernate: select news_newsi0_.id as id3_0_, news_newsi0_.group_id as group2_3_0_, news_newsi0_.query as query3_0_, news_newsi0_.weight as weight3_0_ from idxNews news_newsi0_ where news_newsi0_.id=?
Hibernate: select news_newsi0_.id as id3_0_, news_newsi0_.group_id as group2_3_0_, news_newsi0_.query as query3_0_, news_newsi0_.weight as weight3_0_ from idxNews news_newsi0_ where news_newsi0_.id=?

So how could i prevent that? I did not FETCH join, and the association is defined as LAZY.

thx uwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, thats a special behavior of OneToOne-Associations. If you load a News-Object hibernate needs to know, if there is a NewsIndex to this News, in order to set a proxy or null if there is none. Other ManyToOne-associations would use a join-column, which is null if the association is null. But when you use PrimaryKeyJoinColumn, this join column is never null, even if the association is null, so that hibernate needs to do a select to check if the other end exists. Look hereand herefor more information about that.

Rating is welcome. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 am 

mmerder wrote:
Well, thats a special behavior of OneToOne-Associations. If you load a News-Object hibernate needs to know, if there is a NewsIndex to this News, in order to set a proxy or null if there is none. Other ManyToOne-associations would use a join-column, which is null if the association is null. But when you use PrimaryKeyJoinColumn, this join column is never null, even if the association is null, so that hibernate needs to do a select to check if the other end exists. Look hereand herefor more information about that.

Rating is welcome. ;-)

Still dont get it, but was able to come around that one by (mis)using ManyToOne for that.

In case someone else falls into that: here is the solution that worked for me:

@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
@JoinColumn(name = "id", referencedColumnName = "id", insertable = false, updatable = false)
private NewsIndex fullTextIndex = null;

Where NewsIndex is the Bogus Entity i do not want to load...

thanks for your time, though! Highly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, thats a solution, but be aware, that you will get an exception if you invoke news.getNewsIndex() when a news has no index, because hibernate thinks, there IS a newsIndex.

In your case I would use a OneToOne and make it not optional, or (if it is optional) use another join-column instead of the primary key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:59 am 

mmerder wrote:
Well, thats a solution, but be aware, that you will get an exception if you invoke news.getNewsIndex() when a news has no index, because hibernate thinks, there IS a newsIndex.

In your case I would use a OneToOne and make it not optional, or (if it is optional) use another join-column instead of the primary key.

i just don´t have that option. see, i don´t have control over the NewsIndex entity´s table, because it comes from a 3rd party software. i will never ever try to get a NewsIndex entity, but just use it to join on for filtering News entities. that´s why i would not even put a getNewsIndex in News.

if i use OneToOne and shared primary key, i did not manage to make that NewsIndex entity not created in java space, so this fake ManyToOne for this fake Entity looks like the only way to actuallay get a
Code:
LEFT JOIN someUnmappedTable a ON myEntity.id=a.id
into a JPQL query, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:30 am 
Expert
Expert

Do you really have to do a join in order to filter?
Why not removing the (not used) toOne-Association and filter with a subquery:
Code:
from News news where news.id in (select id from NewsIndex)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:30 pm 

mmerder wrote:
Do you really have to do a join in order to filter?
Why not removing the (not used) toOne-Association and filter with a subquery:
Code:
from News news where news.id in (select id from NewsIndex)

unfortunately, i´m on mysql 5.0, where subselects... well... let´s just say: don´t rock

thx anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]