-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pagination problem with MSSQL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hi,

We are using MSSQL Database and a particular table is having more than 50000 records. When we navigate to last page using pagination, we are getting heap memory out of space. we are showing 20 records per page, but the query fired is having top 50000 from table. It seems hibernate fetching all the 50000 records and after that showing only 20 records. Due to this we are getting heap memory out of space.

Is there any option to fetch only 20 records as like in select * from table limit 49980, 50000 of MySQL.

Thanks in advance.

Kathirvel Subramaniam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Did you use query.setMaxResults(X) and query.setFirstResult(Y)? If yes, hibernate only selects these rows. you could also call session.clear() after each read, so that the session-cache gets cleared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:13 pm 

Thanks for reply.

we achieved pagination using query.setFistResult(49980) and query.setMaxResult(50000) to get the 20 records, but it seems while fetching the record itself we are getting heap memory out of space. That is before executing session.clear().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm 

setMaxResult takes as argument the amount of data you want to fetch, so instead of 50000 it should be 20. Also make sure to do flushing and clearing the session after some interval to free the space.
For Example:

Code:
int pageSize = 20; // how many objects to retrieve in one query

int numRows = 50 000; // get this via a count() query

for (int i=0; i < numRows/pageSize; i++) {
    // query such that everything you need is retrieved in one query
    Query q = sess.createQuery("QueryString");
    q.setFirstResult(i*pageSize);
    q.setMaxResults(pageSize);
    List data = q.list();
    // Iterate over data and do something, then evict objects and can also call session.clear and session.flush
}

Rating appreciated if it helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 am 

I am sorry, i have entered wrongly. We are setting maxResult as the number of records per page.

That is, query.setFistResult(49980) and query.setMaxResult(20) to get the 20 records.

When i refer the SQLServerDialect to see how the adding limiting string, they are adding top key word with sum of first result and max result.

That means they are actually fetching the 50000 records and then sub listing the 20 which leads to out of memory error.

Have anybody come accross the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm 

I seem to have exactly the same problem.

I fired up a debugger and put some breakpoints in the HSQLDialect class. Even though the supportsLimit() method executes and returns true, the getLimitString() method is never reached.

I tried to step through the code a but further but couldn't find anything useful.

Using hibernate core 3.3.0.sp1 (also happens wth version 3.2.1) with JPA.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]