-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with fetchType=eager and onetomany
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm 

Hi,

I'm using Spring together with hibernate, I configure my hibernate setting with annotations. Now I have the following (simplified) table structure

report 1 : n reportColumn

In the report class I have a List with Column items, which are bound through a onetomany annotations:

Code:
@OneToMany(mappedBy="report", fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
   @Cascade({org.hibernate.annotations.CascadeType.ALL,
          org.hibernate.annotations.CascadeType.DELETE_ORPHAN})
   @OrderBy(clause = "column_order_nr asc")
   private List<ReportColumn> columns = new ArrayList<ReportColumn>();

In the column class, I have a reference to the report class, configured with a manytoone annotation:

Code:
@ManyToOne(cascade=CascadeType.ALL, fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
   @JoinColumn(name="report_column_report_id")
   private Report report;

When I try to load all reports in my dao, there are too much report items returned:

Code:
public ArrayList<Report> getReports() {
      ArrayList<Report> reports =
         (ArrayList<Report>)this.getHibernateTemplate().loadAll(Report.class);
      return reports;
   }

The loadAll-method returns a report for each column. E.g. when I have a report with two columns, the loadAll-method returns the same report twice.

I already tried to avoid this by removing the FetchType.EAGER setting. Than the loadAll-method returns the expected number of reports. But when I save a selected report in a session bean and than try to access the columns of the report in another request, the following error occures:

Quote:
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException - failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: de.dyspepsie.fode.doc.Report.columns, no session or session was closed

I already use the org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter provided by spring, but this keeps the session opened only for one request...

Do you have an idea how to handle this?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

Seems that HibernateTemplate tries to outsmart the user there, if you turn on the SQL Output i guess it includes columns with a left join.
Doing this usually requires either select DISTINCT or casting the result-list to a set in order to remove duplicates.

The LazyInitializationException is understandable, OSIV does one Session for the first Request, then your objects become detached.
To use them in a further request you have to reload or merge them back into the (new) session.

suggestions:
- only use the eager loading if you always need columns, including them when loading can otherwise be be easily accomplished (e.g. join fetch in HQL)
- unless you have a case where you access a column without knowing the report and want the report loaded remove the eager loading from the column side
- With HibernateTemplate.getSession() you can get access to the Session itself and use it to do HQL or Criteria Queries.
In your case i would suggest something along the lines of:
Code:
Session session = getHibernateTemplate().getSession();
List<Report> reports = (List<Report>)session.createQuery("select distinct r from reports r left join fetch r.columns").list();

Hope that helps, rating appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:28 pm 

Hi pkleindl,

thanks for your answer. The solution you posted worked for me, although I think that it shouldn't be necessary to make a left join when there's a oneToMany-decleration.
Nevertheless, I tried your solution and it worked for the problem I had, whereby a new problem occured now.

There's another table which has a relation to the report table:

report 1 : n reportRow

Up to now I didn't read the reportRow-table in another request than the report-table. Now I needed to do that and therefore I added the fetch=fetchType.EAGER attribute to the decleration:

Code:
@OneToMany(mappedBy="report", fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
@Cascade((org.hibernate.anotations.CascadeType.ALL,
                 org.hibernate.anotations.CascadeType.DELETE_ORPHAN))
private List<ReportRow> rows = new ArrayList<ReportRow>();

Now I receive the following error:

Quote:
org.hibernate.HibernateException: cannot simultaneously fetch multiple bags

Does anybody know how to avoid this error?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

Hi

The point is: HQL ignores the mapping, you have to define what you want in the statement

for your other problem map your collections with
Code:
@org.hibernate.annotations.Fetch(org.hibernate.annotations.FetchMode.SUBSELECT)

drop the left join fetch and the distinct and it should work fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am 

Hi pkleindl,

thanks again, now it works as expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 am 
Expert
Expert

If you want to fetch both lists eagerly you could also add @IndexColumn, as hibernate supports "real" lists.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]