-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Saving of raw foreign key
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 pm 

Hi All,

Is there an easy hibernate method of saving a single new child using a raw foreign key? I have the foreign key from an earlier Criteria query (used to populate a pull down box) used for performance reasons.

I'm currently having to reload the parent and this is having a perfromance overhead. If I construct a transient parent object with only the key set, it sets the foreign key to null (and then fails upon insert with not null violation).

I don't really want to use JDBC :/

Happy to post details/example but didn't think it would be necessary...

TiA, rotis23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:42 pm 
Red Hat Associate
Red Hat Associate

By default this will not go to the database:

Other other = (Other) session.load(Other.class, otherId);

Then you can set your association:

this.setOther(other);
session.save(this);

Pseudo-code, obviously ;)

The reason is that by default, load() will give you an uninitialized proxy containing exactly one field - the ID. Note that get() will always hit the database so it won't work for this situation. For JPA, use getReference().

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 am 

Thanks for the reply cbredesen.

For reasons I can't go into now the class is lazy="false" - so the full object is loaded during a 'load' operation.

I have the key but I need to load the entire object!

If there is no method to insert using the raw foreign key, is there a method of forcing a lazy load for a single load operation?

Thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]