-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Search, how good is it ? What can you do ?(Grails)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 pm 

Can you folks tell me more about hibernate search ? I have spent so much time back and forth deciding on how and what should handle my search. I must say, I remember that his was a possibility now early in my development but none in the grails community have mentioned it as an option when I have brought up the search discussion...

How powerful is it? Compared to lucene ? but how come no one have mentioned it in grails... does this come with the normal grails/hibernate distro ? Or is it like a plugin ?

May main reason for considering going for postgres Tsearch is the possibilty to mix fulltext and relational matching... I guess this is not a problem with Hibernate search ? Is there any drawbacks I should know about ? Is it fast, slow.. other things to consider ? Possible to add a dictionary ?

Thanks / Moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 am 
Pro
Pro

This isn't an extensive reply to your questions:

1) Hibernate Search uses Lucene under the hood, so there is no direct comparison (unless someone can say otherwise) between Hibernate Search and Lucene. Hibernate Search allows you to index and search your Hibernate mapped domain objects. This is currently done via annotations (xml configuration can be plugged in but there is no code as of yet).

2) As far as I know there is a grails plugin for search but I believe it uses Compass search framework which in turns uses Lucene.

3) Hibernate Search has a distribution which you need to place in your application. Please refer to the Hibernate Search documentation for further information on how to get started.

I have been using Hibernate Search for some time now and it's a great library and I would highly recommend it. Please download and build a prototype using Hibernate search to get you going.

Cheers

Post subject: ..continue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:03 am 

Ook, thank you... I have looked at compass and Searchable.

You know if "Hibernate search" supports dictionaries (stop words, lexemes etc) ?

"This is currently done via annotations"

Does those look the same across all frameworks? Add to the domain class, right ?

I will go to the documentation and have look now...

Thanks again / Moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:03 am 
Pro
Pro

It's been sometime but I did a small blog on using Hibernate Search (via Spring). Hopefully it should give you an basic idea www.amin-mc.blogspot.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]