-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping problem - two tables, one entity
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 pm 

Hello all, I’m hoping for some assistance in figuring out how to implement a fairly complex mapping problem. Here is what I have to deal with in a legacy database situation (that I can't change - I have to adapt the mapping to):

1. Our current purchase order information is stored on a table called ‘PURCHASE_ORDER’.
    2. Our older purchase order information is stored in an identical (structure-wise) table called ‘PURCHASE_ORDER_HIST’.
    3. The primary key to these tables is PO_NUMBER and PO_SEQUENCE.
    4. A given PO_NUMBER and PO_SEQUENCE will exist on either PURCHASE_ORDER or PURCHASE_ORDER_HIST, but not both.
    5. The legacy applications that need to retrieve information for a given PO_NUMBER and PO_SEQUENCE have to query both tables to locate the information.

I have an entity class called PurchaseOrder which I need to somehow map to BOTH tables and have the persistence layer automagically load the data. So far, I have only mapped this entity to the PURCHASE_ORDER table, and now need to figure out some way to also map it to PURCHASE_ORDER_HIST.

Basically, the persistence manager needs to query PURCHASE_ORDER, and if it doesn't find it there, query PURCHASE_ORDER_HIST. I'm currently just figuring out how to get it to load the correct entity; eventually, I'm going to have to try to figure out how get the persistence layer to update the correct table if an entity is changed.

Is this a scenario where some sort of Inheritance mapping could help?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

maybe you can utilize the Custom SQL for CRUD operations feature - http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/annotations/reference/en/html_single/#entity-hibspec-customsql.

--Hardy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]