-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping entities to views?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm 

Hi, i have no much experience with Hibernate. I'm working on a booking system. I have a table with reservations and another one containing the reservations operations, so if somebody cancel a reservation there will be a new row in the reservation_operations table with an action 'cancel' and the reservation_id (which is a foreign key -> reservations table).

I guess it is clear. What i want is not to keep a reservation_status field in the reservations table but to calculate it dynamically in a view depending on the reservation_operations rows. I already have that view working.

I want to know if i should map my Reservation class to a view containing the reservation fields plus the status field or if i should keep the status as a separated entity class mapped to the reservation class status field. I don't know which is the best practice nor what is possible.

Any help will be welcome.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

There is no reason not to use all the view's fields, including the calculated one.
Since nothing on the view is updateable, I doubt Hibernate will care how the calculated field came into existence. For Hibernate, they are just fields.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:57 pm 

Hi Gonzalo.
Thanks for your reply, i understand what you say, but my doubt comes due the need of having all the fields into the same class. I need to have all the updatable fields from reservations plus the read-only status field, ll them in the same class Reservation.

How can i do this? Or
How should i do this?

I have the Reservation class mapped to the reservations table, and now i have a view with the reservation_id and the reservation_status.

Maybe adding a new ReservationStatus class mapped to the view and adding a ReservationStatus member to my Reservation class? But the view has not id, only the reservation_id

Have any idea?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]