-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate libraries
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:23 pm 

Hi, I'm try to learn Hibernate by using the book : "Java persistence with Hibernate". Before starting with programming the book said I have to copy the required libraries. They also refer to a README.txt in the Hibernate Distribution Package to make sure I have al the libraries I need for the beginning. But I'm not finding some README.txt in that package.

I'm sure I have need some more libraries because I get an error when I try to do an import of the package persistence.*;

Can somebody say me witch library or libraries I need to get to a succefull import of persistence.*; ?? Or can somebody say were I can find the README.txt??

I downloaded the following version of Hibernate: Hibernate Core 3.3.0SP1 Released on 19.08.2008

I hope somebody can help me a soon as possible so I can go on with learning Hibernate

Thank you in advanced
Dieter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:36 am 

1.1. Requirements
• Download [http://www.hibernate.org/6.html] and unpack the Hibernate Annotations distribution from the
Hibernate website.
• This release requires Hibernate Core 3.3 and above.
• This release is known to work on Hibernate Core 3.3.0.SP1
• Make sure you have JDK 5.0 installed or above. You can of course continue using XDoclet and get some of
the benefits of annotation-based metadata with older JDK versions. Note that this document only describes
JDK 5.0 annotations and you have to refer to the XDoclet documentation for more information.
1.2. Configuration
First, set up your classpath (after you have created a new project in your favorite IDE):
• Copy all Hibernate3 core and required 3rd party library files (see lib/README.txt in Hibernate).
• Copy hibernate-annotations.jar, lib/hibernate-comons-annotations.jar and lib/
ejb3-persistence.jar from the Hibernate Annotations distribution to your classpath as well.
If you wish to use Hibernate Validator [http://validator.hibernate.org], download it from the Hibernate website
and add hibernate-validator.jar in your classpath.
If you wish to use Hibernate Search [http://search.hibernate.org], download it from the Hibernate website and
add hibernate-search.jar and lucene-core-x.y.z.jar in your classpath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:31 am 

JDK 5.0 thats the JDK of Java EE version I think?
The only problem I have is that I don't see a README.txt in the /lib of the Hibernate version I downloaded...

Is there an other place where I can find the necessary libraries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

Here's a little tutorial, that is extremely easy to follow, that will help you set up Hibernate and get things running:

Setting up a Hibernate Environment on Windows - Setup Confirmation and Testing

Java 5 JDK will allow you to use Annotations, and is certainly tied to JEE5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:14 am 

I'm learning Hibernate from the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate. I've almost finished my first project with Hibernate and I seems to work. The only question I still have is: Do I need to install the Java EE SDK 5.0 to run my Hibernate Project or is it fine to do it with the Java SE version where I have the JDK1.6.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 am 
Pro
Pro

dierre wrote:
I've almost finished my first project with Hibernate and I seems to work.

Why, then, you are asking for Java EE SDK? It has nothing to do with Hibernate nor with JPA. JPA works with Java SE SDK, and Hibernate too. You only needed Java EE if you were using an application server like JBoss.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]