-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Making an entity read-only?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:27 pm 

[b]Hibernate version: 3 + annotations[/b]

I have two projects working against a database. One project maps to a table and can write to it. The second project should map to some fields of the same table, but be read-only. Is it possible to guarantee that the entity created in the second project will never attempt an insert/update/delete?

Additionally the entity is a subclass, does this complicate things?

Ideally I'd like to acheive this via annotations. If not, then I'll have to create my own and check it in my HibernateUtil.create()/update()/delete(). I have no control over the DB so I cannot make a view.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:11 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

does each of the projects have its own entity mapping? If so it should be easy. In case you are trying to reuse the mappings it will be harder.

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm 

Yes, each project has it's own entity mapping. We can even have multiple per project since yesterday. I created a solution yesterday where I can register multiple mappings for a project:

e.g. HibernateUtils.registerMapping(DomainObject1.class,"hibernate-domain1.cfg.xml");

and the HibernateUtil will look up the correct factory for each class.
e.g.
HibernateUtils.findAll(DomainObject1.class,"status",ACTIVE);

But these don't stop someone from accidentally creating a DomainObject1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 pm 

Look for the attribute "mutable" for the "class" element in the mapping file

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#mapping-declaration-class

Quote:
"mutable (optional, defaults to true): Specifies that instances of the class are (not) mutable. "

for the individual property, there are the attributes "update" and "insert" that control if the property can be modified on an insert or an update respectively

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 pm 

Thanks that looks like hibernate can do what I'm after. I didn't find an @Class annotation, so I guess I'm supposed to do something in the cfg.xml. I'll have a play later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

for the annotations you can use @Immutable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:08 pm 

Excellent, thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]