-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: EntityManager.createQuery barfs on COUNT(CASE statement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:19 pm 

I'm using Hibernate JPA on Postgres 8.2, and EntityManager.createQuery
is not liking a case statement in a select written using JQL. The SQL runs perfectly well in PgAdmin.

The following works just fine:

Code:
" SUM ( CASE WHEN (cs.serveTs BETWEEN :beginTs AND :endTs ) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END )  "

However, while each of the following runs well when translated into SQL, each one throws an exception indicating that Hibernate doesn't like the syntax:

Code:
" COUNT ( DISTINCT   CASE WHEN (cs.serveTs BETWEEN :beginTs AND :endTs ) THEN cs.componentId ELSE NULL END )  "

" COUNT ( DISTINCT   (CASE WHEN (cs.serveTs BETWEEN :beginTs AND :endTs ) THEN cs.componentId ELSE NULL END ) )  "   

" COUNT ( CASE WHEN (cs.serveTs BETWEEN :beginTs AND :endTs ) THEN cs.componentId ELSE NULL END )  "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 pm 

Here's an example of the exception thrown when using COUNT ( DISTINCT CASE WHEN

Code:
101976 [main] ERROR org.hibernate.hql.PARSER - line 1:93: unexpected token: CASE
101977 [main] ERROR org.hibernate.hql.PARSER - line 1:98: unexpected token: WHEN

and here's the exception thrown when the extra parenthesis is added to give
COUNT ( DISTINCT (CASE WHEN

Code:
85587 [main] ERROR org.hibernate.hql.PARSER - line 1:93: unexpected token: (
85588 [main] ERROR org.hibernate.hql.PARSER - line 1:99: unexpected token: WHEN

I just retried this after upgrading to the latest jars for hibernate-commons-annotations.jar, hibernate-annotations.jar, hibernate-entitymanager.jar, hibernate3.jar, and ejb3-persistence.jar. and am having the very same results.

Any ideas? I'd like to do my due diligence on prior related issues before reporting this to the Hibernate project as a bug.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]