-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate search - ClassBridge and entity update
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hi,

I have an entity Protein that has a Many-to-Many associations with entities Disease.
I implemented a ClassBridge that go through theses associations and add a field isLinkedToDisease to my index which will be equals to true or false if there is associations or not between my Protein and some diseases.

My Example :

My Protein is not linked to any Disease (isLinkedToDisease = false) when I first index my DB.
Then I add a Disease to my Protein via UI.
And then, when I look at the index (using Luke) the field isLinkedToDisease still equals to false.

I thought that the isLinkedToDisease would be updated, which would mean that a ClassBridge is called each time my Protein index is updated.

I tried to figure out when the ClassBridge is called and obviously the ClassBridge is called only during first indexing.

So my question is

Is a ClassBridge called only when I first index my entity ? or should the ClassBridge also be called when my entity is updated, in such a case, is a place to configure this ?

Or according to what I described above, is the ClassBridge the correct solution to store this kind of info ?

Thanks a lot

Nelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:30 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

the ClassBridge is not only called at initial indexing, but also when the entity updates, however due to a bug in Hibernate Core collection changes would not trigger a update event. See http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HSEARCH-56. This got fixed in release 3.0.1.GA. The question is - which version of Search are you using?

Regarding the ClassBridge approach. I reckon a FieldBridge would do as well, provided you annotate the getters. You could add a property
hasDesease and a matching getter. Mark the getter as @Transient and place a @Field on it. In the getter you just return !deseaseList.isEmpty(). I think that should work.

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:25 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

To correct some of the statelements of Hardy.
If you use @IndexedEmbedded and /@Contained in, Hibernate Search does care of updatig the index when an associated entity is changed. If you use a class bridge or a field bridge for that matter to walk through your associations, then Hibernate Search does not know that the association is involved: updating an associated entity will not trigger a reindexing.

You can always force the index manually by using session.index().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm 

Thanks a lot for your help !

I tried both solutions but still don't have the info I need in my index.

I've made a very simple test to see whether set update is propagated to my index and this is OK. If I add a new disease I will see its id in my index.

But in my case, having disease ids in my index does not fit with my needs.

I need to set isLinkedToDisease to true only if the protein has "valid" diseases (status != 'dropped' and publish_version > 0)

So my field isLinkedToDisease is "conditionnal".

I first tried to add a @Field on isLinkedToDisease getter (where I parse disease set to see if there is valid diseases).
I even tried to have this property mapped in my Protein mapping and based on a formula (to replace explicit parsing in my getter). Does not work ! :(

Then I tried to add @IndexEmbedded on my disease set + keep my isLinkedToDisease property with its @Field annotation. Does not work ! :(

Any other idea to manage the update of my isLinkedToDisease property ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]