-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to encrypt Database password in hibernate.cfg.xml
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 am 

Hi, how to encrypt Database password in hibernate.cfg.xml.

I tried using http://www.jasypt.org/encrypting-configuration.html

but i am getting an error
Code:
JNDI Connection pooling failed due to :org.jasypt.exceptions.EncryptionInitializationException: No string encryptor registered for hibernate with name "configurationHibernateEncryptor"
and in the hibernate.cfg.xml file I wrote
Code:
<property name="connection.provider_class">org.jasypt.hibernate.connectionprovider.EncryptedPasswordDriverManagerConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name="connection.encryptor_registered_name">configurationHibernateEncryptor</property>
      <property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver</property>

I did not understood the registering of the driver. Where should I call and what is this i wrote before connecting my file

Code:
private void prepareConnection() throws ConnectorException {
      try {
          StandardPBEStringEncryptor strongEncryptor = new StandardPBEStringEncryptor();
          HibernatePBEEncryptorRegistry registry = HibernatePBEEncryptorRegistry.getInstance();
      registry.registerPBEStringEncryptor("configurationHibernateEncryptor", strongEncryptor);

//         Hibernate Connection pooling
         System.out.println("Initialization of hibernate connection pooling...");
          sessionFactory = new Configuration().configure().buildSessionFactory();

} catch (Exception e) {
         System.out.println("\n\nJNDI Connection pooling failed due to :"+e.toString());
         throw new ConnectorException(EsqErrorCodes.KEY_INITMETHOD_FAILED);
      }
   }

Can any one tell where and how to register ?? or is there any other ways to encrypt the password??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:44 am 

Hello,

Your registration code is correct, but you should set a password for your encryptor before calling "registerStringEncryptor", with something like:
Code:
strongEncryptor.setPassword(...);

If you don't, the encryptor will not be able to initialize correctly, which may be the reason you are receiving that exception (if this is so, please tell me so that I can change that exception message... seems confusing).

Regards,
Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:26 am 

Thanks Daniel.
I have tried but still giving error. Do I need to assign that registration code to the sessionFactory??.

I have tried in google. I did not getting any examples..

Have u tried this? Is there any other way to encrypt the password in hibernate.cfg.xml ??

Thanks in advance
Uday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:23 am 

Hello Uday,

What version of Jasypt are you using? I have re-tested this functionality (I am the Jasypt project leader) and it works for me...

Do you have more than one SessionFactory? Do you instantiate it somewhere else other than that "prepareConnection()" method you show?...

The only possibility I see for your receiving this error is that the error does not really raise in the "prepareConnection()" method you show, but in any other place in your code where you create a SessionFactory from than hibernate.cfg.xml without registering the "configurationHibernateEncryptor" first. Could that be?

Regards,
Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 am 

Hi Daniel,

Thank you. It worked

Code to register Jasypt for hibernate

Encrypting Hibernate Password

Code:
           strongEncryptor.setAlgorithm("PBEWithMD5AndDES");
             strongEncryptor.setPassword("EncryptionPassword");
             HibernatePBEEncryptorRegistry registry = HibernatePBEEncryptorRegistry.getInstance();
            registry.registerPBEStringEncryptor("configurationHibernateEncryptor", strongEncryptor);

After adding strongEncryptor.setAlgorithm("PBEWithMD5AndDES"); it worked

And strongEncryptor.setPassword("UR-ENCRYPTION-PASSWORD");

This password is the password which we have given for encrypting.
command to encrypt the password
Code:
encrypt.bat input="UR-DATABASE-PASSWORD" password=UR-ENCRYPTION-PASSWORD algorithm=PBEWithMD5AndDES

and hibernate file
Code:
<property name="connection.provider_class">org.jasypt.hibernate.connectionprovider.EncryptedPasswordDriverManagerConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name="connection.encryptor_registered_name">configurationHibernateEncryptor</property>
    <property name="hibernate.connection.password">ENC(CiyzIvJBgEseyCau8jxo6qgpGkZErLPj)</property>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:30 am 

You hard-code the key inside the application. If that's the case, then why bother encrypt/decrypt the password, might as well hard-code the password in the application !!!! ?

Not sure if Jasypt is useful in this aspect - keep password not in clear text.

Post subject: Re: How to encrypt Database password in hibernate.cfg.xml
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:57 am 

Hi Danial,
Could please tell me where we should write this piece of code ?

strongEncryptor.setPassword("devid");

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 am 

@niranjan_cet, did you get a response to your question regarding how and where should the piece of code reside. Moreover, IF I use hibernate.cfg.xml, hoiw do I provide an encrypted password to the configuration. I know these are newbie questions, but that is exactly what I am. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm 

Hi,

I have created a simple standalone java file to test if I can encrypt DB password in hibernate.cfg.xml file using Jasypt.
If it works fine, I am planning to use the same in my java batch application. Following is my hibernate.cfg.xml file:
hibernate.cfg.xml:
<hibernate-configuration>
<session-factory>
<property name="connection.provider_class">
org.jasypt.hibernate4.connectionprovider.EncryptedPasswordDriverManagerConnectionProvider
</property>
<property name="connection.url">
the connection URL
</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.username">DB_USERNAME</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.password">ENC(mU6zwQrTrGsCucU4u3GW28PLuzPjwm)</property>
<property name="dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.OracleDialect</property>
<mapping resource="Emp.hbm.xml"/>
</session-factory>
</hibernate-configuration>

Java Code:
public class HibernateDemo {
private static SessionFactory factory;
public static void main(String[] args) {
strongEncryptor.setPassword("root1");
try{
factory = new Configuration().configure().buildSessionFactory();
factory = cf.buildSessionFactory();*/
}catch (Throwable ex) {
System.err.println("Failed to create sessionFactory object." + ex);
throw new ExceptionInInitializerError(ex);
}
HibernateDemo ME = new HibernateDemo();
ME.listEmployees();
}
public void listEmployees( ){
Session session = factory.openSession();
Transaction tx = null;
try{
tx = session.beginTransaction();
List employees = session.createQuery("FROM Emp).list();
for (Iterator iterator =
employees.iterator(); iterator.hasNext();){
Emp employee = (Emp) iterator.next();
System.out.print("First Name: " + employee.getFirstName() );
System.out.print(" Last Name: " + employee.getLastName());
}
}catch (HibernateException e) {
//if (tx!=null) tx.rollback();
e.printStackTrace();
}finally {
session.close();
}
}
}

When I execute the program I am getting following exception:
ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

org.hibernate.QueryTimeoutException: Could not open connection
at org.hibernate.exception.internal.SQLStateConversionDelegate.convert(SQLStateConversionDelegate.java:151)
at org.hibernate.exception.internal.StandardSQLExceptionConverter.convert(StandardSQLExceptionConverter.java:49)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(SqlExceptionHelper.java:125)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(SqlExceptionHelper.java:110)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionImpl.obtainConnection(LogicalConnectionImpl.java:221)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionImpl.getConnection(LogicalConnectionImpl.java:157)
at org.hibernate.engine.transaction.internal.jdbc.JdbcTransaction.doBegin(JdbcTransaction.java:67)
at org.hibernate.engine.transaction.spi.AbstractTransactionImpl.begin(AbstractTransactionImpl.java:160)
at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.beginTransaction(SessionImpl.java:1426)
at org.ets.HibernateDemo.listEmployees(HibernateDemo.java:74)
at org.ets.HibernateDemo.main(HibernateDemo.java:53)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:445)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:389)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:382)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.processError(T4CTTIfun.java:600)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoauthenticate.processError(T4CTTIoauthenticate.java:445)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:450)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:192)
-----------------------
---------------------

I am not able to figure out where exactly I have gone wrong. Any help on this is highly appriciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:12 am 

Hi guys,

Encryption of database password using Jasypt is pretty straightforward. For the newer versions of Hibernate (4.2.x, 4.3.x) the existing jasypt-hibernate4 library will not work, you can use the extension I have developed which is available from Maven Central.
Details on getting it and how to use it are available on the project page: https://github.com/hpadmanabhan/jasypt-hibernate4-ext

Please refer to the Integration Test source code available there to answer your questions on how to get this working.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:50 pm 
What about Hibernate 5? I could not have a Jasypt implement for Hibernate 5. Will jasypt-hibernate4 work?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]