-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: OneToMany but not to All
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:20 pm 

A Person owns several credit cards. I want the set Person.cards to contain only valid cards, which are not yet expired.
Can I do this annotating the Person.cards field?

@Entity
public class Person {

@id
Integer customerId;

String name;

@OneToMany
@JoinColumn(name = "CUSTOMER_ID")
// where card.exp_date>current_date ???
Set<Card> cards;

}

@Entity
public class Card {

Column(name = "CUSTOMER_ID")
Integer customerId; // the owner's ID

Date exp_date; // expiration date

}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure I follow.

So, you're saying the database will contain expired cards, but you want to annotate them out at the object model level, so when we say getCards, only valid cards are returned?

Just map your objects naturally, and provide a method that gets only valid credit cards. That's one way. This could easily be done using the Criteria API. Here's a little tutorial on it if you like:

http://www.thebookonhibernate.com/HiberBookWeb/learn.jsp?tutorial=09howtousethecriteriaapi

Maybe explore @Where.

Last edited by Cameron McKenzie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:17 pm 

Cameron,
you understand the situation right.
This is a legacy database ...
What is dangerous in doing this way?
Thanks for the references, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:56 am 

Well even if it is not dangerous what you want is a filter. And filtering is not the job of the annotations but the job of queries/criteria.

If you do this filtering by annotations it means that you will never be able to get the expired cards from the database. So you will not be able to delete them through the Person entity.
Moreover if you can't have them in your Person entity it means that you will also not be able to tell the user that one of his cards has expired, no ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 am 

I am new to Hibernate and did not know (though suspended) about existence of @Where annotation. Now I have learned about it and use it and it works well. Actually my application deals not with credit cards but other object, so concerns about access to expired cards do not apply. You guys recommend criteria and filters instead - is it radically different (and better) from the @Where annotation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Like filters and criteria, @Where is just another tool in your data persistence toolkit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]