-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I use JOINS in my Hibernate Search (FullText) query??
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi guys,

I'm new to using Hibernate Search and I have no clue what I'm doing. I have an existing hibernate search query that I'm trying to change to that advantage of FullText query capabilities. My current query uses JOINs and I'm wondering how I can write JOIN queries with fullTextSession.createFullTextQuery().

Here's my current code:
Code:

queryStringBuff.append(" FROM Busines as B  ");
                    queryStringBuff.append(" where B.Business_Id IN ( ");
                    queryStringBuff.append("       Select B.Business_Id from Busines as B ");
                    queryStringBuff.append("       JOIN Business_Address as BA ON B.Business_Id = BA.Business_Id");
                    queryStringBuff.append("       JOIN Address as A ON A.Address_Id = BA.Address_Id ");
                    queryStringBuff.append("       WHERE ");
                    queryStringBuff.append(" A.City_Name  like '%" + criteria_.cityName + "%' ");
                    queryStringBuff.append("       and A.state = '" + criteria_.stateName + "')"
               queryStringBuff.append(" AND ");
                    queryStringBuff.append(" ( ");
                    queryStringBuff.append("    B.Business_Name like '%" + criteria_.businessName + "%')" );

In this example, the 3 tables I need to join are BUSINESS, BUSINESS_ADDRESS, and ADRESS

And I have selected BUSINESS.Business_Name, ADDRESS.City_Name, ADDRESS.State and the 3 IDs as the indexed fields.

How can I change this to a FullTextQuery?
This is what I have so far:
Code:

FullTextSession fullTextSession = Search.createFullTextSession( this.getSession() );
                  MultiFieldQueryParser parser = new MultiFieldQueryParser(new String[]{"businessName"}, new StandardAnalyzer());

org.apache.lucene.search.Query query = parser.parse(searchString);

searchQry = fullTextSession.createFullTextQuery(query, Business.class);

countQry = searchQry;

result = paginator.getPaginatdResult(session,countQry,searchQry,paginationControl_);

Unfortunately, they are NO examples on using JOINS out there!!! Please...Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

there are no JOIN examples for Hibernate Search, because there is no JOIN. The concepts of a freetext search engine (Lucene) and a ORM mapper (Hibernate) are very different. A Lucene index does not contain any relational information. Index documents are basically sets of key value pairs.

Regarding your problem I recommend you have a look at the Hibernate Search documentation and how to index embedded objects. http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/search/reference/en/html_single/#d0e1322. You probably want to index the address fields as part of the Business index. Once you got the index right you can use a MultiFieldQueryParser or use other classes from Lucene's broad query API to construct your query.

Hope this helps.

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:50 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I came across this approach for the Join. Is this a corrrect solution?

Code:
                  FullTextSession fullTextSession = Search.createFullTextSession( session );
                  MultiFieldQueryParser parser = new MultiFieldQueryParser(new String[]{
                  "businessName", "businessAddresses.address.cityName", "businessAddresses.address.state"}, new StandardAnalyzer());
                  org.apache.lucene.search.Query query = parser.parse(searchString);
                  searchQry = fullTextSession.createFullTextQuery(query, BusinessCbo.class);
               countQry = searchQry;
               result = paginator.getPaginatdResult(session,countQry,searchQry,paginationControl_);

Refer to:
http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=986506

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Yes, that's what I meant with indexed embedded. If your Business entity has a collection of Adresses named businessAddresses the document field names would however per default be businessAddresses.cityName and businessAddresses.state.

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Hardy for your response. That make actually makes sence.

My next struggle is how I need to specify the embedded/joins using Hiberate annotation across the 3 tables.

I've posted the question on:
http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=986506

Looking at my configuration, if you can answer my question in that posting that would help me a lot to make progress. I haven't used annotations before so I'm stuck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]