-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: preUpdate not called when collection changed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 am 

Hibernate version: 3.2 (annotations 3.3.1, entitymanager 3.3.2)
Name and version of the database you are using: HSQLDB 1.8.0.9

I have 2 classes (Computer and Software) with a ManyToMany association. Since the access is always done from the Computer side, the Software Entity has no coresponding ManyToMany field.

Any change made to a Computer should be logged (with the preUpdate method).

Code:
@Entity
public class Computer {

@Id @Generated
   private long id;   
   private String name;
   @ManyToMany
   private Collection<Software> software;

getters and setters...

@PreUpdate
   public void preUpdate{
      System.out.println("Computer updated");
   }
}

@Entity
public class Software {

@Id @Generated
   private long id;
   private String name;

getters and setters...
}

When I change the name of a Computer, the preUpdate is called as it should, but when I add a Software to a Computer's software Collection, the preUpdate method is NOT called.

Is this behaviour normal or am I doing something wrong? How can I make the preUpdate method beeing called when a collection is changed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:29 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

If I am not mistaken @PreUpdate is called before db update operations. Adding sofware would trigger an insert operations though. Try also adding a @prePersist. Also check http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/entitymanager/reference/en/html_single/#listeners.

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:43 am 

Thanks for the hint Hardy.

When I add a Software the first time, @prePersist is called on the Software entity, but not on the Computer. Any subsequent adding or removing of software to or from Computers (remember: it's a many-to-many association) does neither trigger any entity lifecycle methods on the Computer or the Software.

As a workaround, I can add a mapping class with two many-to-one and the coresponding one-to-many associations on the Computer and Software.

In general, it seems to me that the entity lifecycle methods are only called when:
- a field on a database table changes
AND
- there is a entity for that table
AND
- the entity has a field that maps to the changed field on the database

can anyone approve this?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]