-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dilemma - Oracle Timestamp or Date
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:18 am 

Hi

I apologize if this question has been answered already. I searched through the forums all of yesterday and googled with no luck.

I am running an Oracle 9i database and using a 10G driver - ojdbc14_10-2-0-3.jar (copied to lib folder) , we are upgrading our database to 10G soon.

I'm attempting to reverse gen my schema into model classes. I am also a custom strategy ( copied from a forum post here ) that annotates my version column correctly.

All my tables have timestamp columns for audit.

Code:
CREATE TABLE CATALOG
(
  CATALOG_ID     INTEGER                        NOT NULL,
  CATALOG_NAME   VARCHAR2(50 BYTE)              NOT NULL,
  DATE_CREATED   TIMESTAMP(6)                   DEFAULT systimestamp          NOT NULL,
  ADDED_BY       INTEGER                        NOT NULL,
  DATE_MODIFIED  TIMESTAMP(6)                   DEFAULT systimestamp          NOT NULL,
  MODIFIED_BY    INTEGER                        NOT NULL,
  ENABLED        CHAR(1 BYTE)                   DEFAULT 'N'                   NOT NULL,
  VERSION_ID     INTEGER                        DEFAULT 1                     NOT NULL
);

The generated code maps my timestamp columns to Serializable
Code:
   @Column(name = "DATE_CREATED", nullable = false)
   @NotNull
   public Serializable getDateCreated() {
      return this.dateCreated;
   }

I understand this is an Oracle problem, but is there anyone who has a workaround for this ?

If I do change these fields to Date type, I do get the expected results.
My gut tells me that I should change my fields to Date type. The only issue I still see is that even with Date fields, the generated methods are not annotated with @Temporal(TemporalType.TIMESTAMP)

Can anyone offer some advice ?

Thanks
Franco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 am 

I modified my fields to Date datatype in Oracle.

After reverse gen this time, I did get @Temporal(TemporalType.DATE) and I changed it to @Temporal(TemporalType.TIMESTAMP)

The problem I encountered then was that Hibernate strips off time after an update.

I then annotated the columns this way
@Column(name = "DATE_MODIFIED", updatable = false, insertable = false)

and wrote a before insert/update trigger to update these datetime values.

The only problem I might encounter in future is when I have to update a datetime field from the UI

Anyone here using an Oracle 9i db and above have any ideas ?

Thanks
Franco

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]