-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Embedding Oracle query hints in HQL?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:11 am 
We have a rather complex HQL query we're currently running and our DBA is wondering if there is a way he can have me embed Oracle query hints into the query. FYI, you can use query hints to give the oracle query engine information about the best way to execute your query. The format is something like:

{DELETE|INSERT|SELECT|UPDATE} /*+ hint [text] [hint[text]]... */

I would only be doing SELECTs, obviously. So is there any way I can embed that "/*+ hint [text] [hint[text]]... */" into an HQL query? I've tried (on a much simpler query) and I get the following exception:

net.sf.hibernate.QueryException: undefined alias: / [
select /*+ INDEX (STORE_LOCATION) */ distinct business
from com.sa.go.bto.Business as business
inner join business.locations as location
where (business.nationalFlag = YES or
location.class = com.sa.go.bto.OnlineBusinessLocation)
]

Thanks in advance!
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:28 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I'd like us to be able to do this, but I suspect that its probably just going to be too different b/w different dbs.

Like, in this case it would be very easy to have Hibernate pass though a comment after the SELECT. But presumably query hints can also appear elsewhere.

If you need it desperately, use a native SQL query (which is very nicely implemented by Max in 2.1).

If you need it less desperately, get your DBA to give me some advice on how best to approach this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:35 am 
gavin wrote:
If you need it desperately, use a native SQL query (which is very nicely implemented by Max in 2.1).

If you need it less desperately, get your DBA to give me some advice on how best to approach this.

the native SQL query will work excellently. i'll only need to use it in this one place, also, which means it won't be so bad.

it would still be nice to embed it in the HQL, however. according to my DBA, the *only* place the optimizer hint can go is right after the select, something like:

SELECT /*+ hint [text] [hint[text]]... */ *
FROM FOO_TABLE

maybe have some special identifier (braces?) that would allow you to embed static text that will propogate directly through to the final query. it could be useful in other cases as well:

select {/*+ ....... */} business.id
from foo.bar.Business business
where business.nationalFlag = {'Y'}

thanks!
james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:38 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hmmmm if its only after the select thats fine. just wondering about other DBs though. See the trouble is we don't want to let you embed stuff in {} in some place that Hibernate might need to restructure (like the where clause).

Still, I have often considered this, and it might be about time to tackle it....

Post subject: SQL pass-through
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:57 pm 

Hi,
can anyone tell me if this change went ahead? I have tried 'select {...} ...' with 2.1.3 and it gives the same exception.
Cheers

Post subject: hints in hql
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:05 pm 

has this been implemented yet ?

Post subject: Yes it has
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:03 pm 

See Query.setComment

Post subject: Space after "/*" when using setComment()
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:43 pm 

I tried query.setComment() to add an Oracle index hint to my select query. It was really really close, but not quite there: Oracle requires a comment like this: /*+ index (a IDX_MY_INDEX) */. But the generated SQL has a space after the opening comment: /* + index (a IDX_MY_INDEX */. Is there any way to change this behavior?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: What about this?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm 

query.setComment("bogus comment */ /*+ index (a IDX_MY_INDEX) ");

I haven't tried it, but I would think Hibernate would translate that to:
/* bogus comment */ /*+ index (a IDX_MY_INDEX) */

which becomes a comment and a Hint...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 am 

Yes, but doesn't the hint need to be in a particular place in the SQL query, like anywhere between 'select' and 'from'? I'm guessing the comment will be appended to the end or start of the SQL, thus this method of hinting will not work :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 am 

Yes, for Oracle to accept a hint it needs to go AFTER the SELECT, but BEFORE any selected fields. Again, I have not tested, so I don't know where Hibernate puts it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:41 am 

Just ran a quick test, Hibernate sticks the comment at the beginning of the query, so it doesn't help...

/* bogusComment */ /*+ INDEX(this_) */ /* criteria query */ select

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:16 am 

Yup, tis a pity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

So at the moment it's not possible to add a hint with hibernate if we work with oracle...
Does anybody knows a way to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 am 

It's not possible using HQL (at least not that anyone has found); it is possible using Native SQL, as you're formulating the query yourself - which is easy to do without issue, providing your data/inheritence model isn't too complicated.

When using HQL, Hibernate uses pseudo-columns (clazz_) to determine the subclass type. When you instead use Native SQL, Hibernate does not have this information and so cannot map to the correct inheritance. This will only be an issue for you if you have a complicated model, like table A extends table B, etc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next