-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Should objects implement serializable?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:46 pm 

In the Hibernate Annotation reference doc all of the classes implement serializable. Everything seems to work fine without it, so is there any need for it?

Thanks
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:18 pm 

BTW
By "all of the classes" I am talking about the persisted domain objects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 am 
Pro
Pro

I don't think Hibernate doesn't need the objects to be serializable (with the possible exception of any composite-id mapping objects).

That said, a lot of people need to make their domain model classes Serializable because they use it for lots of other stuff.

Lots of things you can do with the domain model will force you to need to make them serializable:
- marshalling them across a network connection using ordinary java serialization (i.e. using them as params to EJB calls, or other kinds of RPC mechanism).
- chucking them in a HTTP session: a lot of the app servers (possibly the standard, dunno) require the objects you stick in the session to be serializable

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]