-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issues with bidirectional one-to-many relation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:13 pm 

I'm having a very odd issue which I've been struggling with for many hours. I'm completely out of ideas, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have two entities, Company and Campaign, where one company has many campaigns and one compaign has one company—a bidirectional one-to-many relationship.

The relevant code looks more or less like this (some parts have been left out for clarity):

Code:
public class Campaign
{
   @ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name="company_id")
   public Company getCompany() { return company; }

public void setCompany(Company company) { this.company = company; }
}

public class Company
{
   @OneToMany(mappedBy="company")
   public Collection<Campaign> getCampaigns() { return campaigns; }

public void setCampaigns(Collection<Campaign> campaigns) { this.campaigns = campaigns; }
}

When I try to create a company and a campaign, save both, then link them together (using setCompany, for example), I get weird errors caused by violated foreign key constraints:

Quote:
Batch entry 0 insert into campaigns (company_id, name, id) values (NULL, Foo, 2118) was aborted.
ERROR: insert or update on table "campaigns" violates foreign key constraint "fkfd772163fb464619"
Detail: Key (id)=(2118) is not present in table "companies".

If I'm interpreting this correctly, then either Hibernate or Postgres is looking for a Company with the ID of a Campaign, which is causing an error because there is no company with the campaign's ID. I have no idea why this is happening…

There is one foreign key constraint in the "campaigns" table, and this is what it looks like:

Quote:
"fkfd772163c8bfc11b" FOREIGN KEY (company_id) REFERENCES companies(id)

which looks fine.

I have no idea what's going on here. Are my annotations correct? Did I forget an annotation here or there? Any hints that point me in the right direction are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Issues with bidirectional one-to-many relation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

The weird thing to me in the first place is why this is null. How do you create objects and save them? I would expect something like this:

Code:
Company company = new Company();
company.set..(..);

Campaign campaign = new Campaign();

campaign.set..();

company.getCampaigns().add(campaign);
campaign.setCompany(company);

em.persist(company);
em.persist(campaign);

Farzad-

Post subject: Re: Issues with bidirectional one-to-many relation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

and there is something else. If you look at the foreign key names they are different so I am guessing you might have added a wrong foreign key too. Examine the table for all it's constraints and make sure what you see if what you thing it is.

Farzad-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:24 pm 

Quoted from book hibernate in action, I would suggest you to create a helper method in Company. say
Code:
public void addCampaign(Campaign campaign){
   if(campaign.getCompany() != null){
      campaign.getCompany().getCampaigns().remove(campaign);
      campaign.setCompany(this);
   }
   this.campaigns.add(campaign);
}

And then you just need to persist company variable and it will propagate persistency to campaign as well.
And set show_sql=true in hibernate config. Grab the showing sql in log and copy paste to run on your database which is normally what I will do to debug.
Hope this help.
BTW, I am also a new learner of hibernate so don't trust me too much ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:10 am 

Alright, looks like I made a really stupid but really subtle mistake. Company used one database while Campaign used another. This obviously caused lots of very weird errors and exceptions…

So yeah, issue is solved. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]