-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Manually set primary key
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:31 pm 

For a part of my project, I need to load model data from XML files and save them out to the database (much like the test fixtures in Ruby on Rails). To properly create the object graphs, I have to manually specify the primary keys like this:

<Parent Id="1" ... />
<Child ParentId = "1" ... />

My models use sequences for the primary keys normally, so manually setting the primary key has no effect. Any ideas how I could bypass the key generation in this one instance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

hansenm,

Set the "generator" element of the "id" entry to "assigned"
(Reference documentation, 5.1.4.1. Generator).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 pm 

use
Code:
session.Save( obj, id )

To save it with an assigned ID when the ID is normally auto generated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm 

@gonzao_diaz: My goal was to do this without having to have separate hbm files for each situation. Everywhere else, my program uses the "native" generator.

@mkb137: Excellent! This worked great perfectly. I had tried the SaveOrUpdateCopy method without success, but I didn't see the overload of Save. Thanks a lot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]