-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Uncommitted transaction policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:44 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Recently I've been checking my project code and find out that there are places where exception handling is done wrong. In some places I can see the following code:

Code:
    ITransaction transaction = session.BeginTransaction();

try
    {
        if (objectToPersist == null)
        {
            throw new ArgumentNullException();
        }
        transaction.Commit();
    }
    catch (NHibernateException e)
    {
        transaction.Rollback();
    }

It is not exactly like that, because beginning and ending transaction are actually done in the web layer, but in general it looks like that.

So, my warning is, what will happen if the method throws ArgumentNullException? Transaction is already started, but won't be rolled back, since expected exception type is NHibernateException. Will transaction still try to flush data? Will unclosed transaction cause any other side effects? Is there are way to control the behaviour of uncommitted transactions? Of course, I want all uncommitted transactions to be rolled back.

P.S. I know that this code is generally wrong, but it will take time to fix it and I want to be sure that it is still okay to have code like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:23 am 
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately I believe this is database dependent. For example, Oracle can be configured to autocommit rather than autorollback however if you're using MS SQL Server it will autorollback by default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

merge_s.rottem wrote:
Unfortunately I believe this is database dependent. For example, Oracle can be configured to autocommit rather than autorollback however if you're using MS SQL Server it will autorollback by default.

Great, just what I needed to know. I am using MS SQL Server 2005. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]