-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: post commit event listeners and failed transactions.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:22 pm 

Hibernate version: 3.2.2.ga
Name and version of the database you are using: informix 7.31

Hi,

My database tables include constraints that may stop inserts, modifies and deletes from being committed.

I am registering PostCommitInsertEventListeners, PostCommitUpdateEventListeners and PostCommitDeleteEventListeners. When transactions fail to commit due to constraint violations, the post-commit event listener is still being notified of the database change, even though it wasn't committed.

I have traced this behaviour back to org.hibernate.action.EntityDeleteAction (& Entity*Action). The current code shows:

Code:
public void afterTransactionCompletion(boolean success) throws HibernateException {
      if ( getPersister().hasCache() ) {
         final CacheKey ck = new CacheKey(
               getId(),
               getPersister().getIdentifierType(),
               getPersister().getRootEntityName(),
               getSession().getEntityMode(),
               getSession().getFactory()
            );
         getPersister().getCache().release(ck, lock);
      }
      postCommitDelete();
   }

The postCommitDelete() method will be called (and notify listeners of delete events) independent of whether the transaction completed successfully or not. I have changed this method to:
Code:
public void afterTransactionCompletion(boolean success) throws HibernateException {
      if ( getPersister().hasCache() ) {
         final CacheKey ck = new CacheKey(
               getId(),
               getPersister().getIdentifierType(),
               getPersister().getRootEntityName(),
               getSession().getEntityMode(),
               getSession().getFactory()
            );
         getPersister().getCache().release(ck, lock);
      }
                if (success)
              postCommitDelete();
   }

and now obtain the behaviour that I expect (that is, the post commit event listener is only notified when the transaction is committed successfully). Similar changes can be applied to the other org.hibernate.action.Event*Action classes.

Is this a bug or am I using the post-commit event listeners the wrong way? If so, how do I determine when post-commit events are generated because the transaction has been committed (as opposed to rolled-back)?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 am 

I've run into exactly the same problem as this.

Does anyone have a work around, is there any way to determine when a post-commit event is generated because the transaction committed successfully rather then being rolled-back?

I'd even be content to subclass EntityDeleteAction and modify the default behaviour, but the class is marked as final. The only solution seems to be to copy/paste the content of EntityDeleteAction into a new class and modify afterTransactionCompletion(boolean success).

Other people must have run into this problem, or is there a better way to listen for successful entity deletions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 am 

See:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... e/HHH-1582

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]