-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do I have my concepts wrong?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 am 

[Sorry for posting in wrong forum before]

Hi,

I have a couple of problems and I've been banging my head against the wall. I need to do some simple operations that I think any business application can have...nothing out of the ordinary.

When I create a new customer, I have a custom method to obtain a numerator (it's not the ID and I don't want to use generator). Is it not possible to just execute a statement? Soemthing like "update x set y=y+1"? Forget even returning the result. Can't I just execute a direct SQL statement? I just don't see myself having to create a numerator class, the class mapping and do things like:

Numerator numerator = new Numerator();
int value = numerator.GetNextNumerator();
session.Update(numerator);

where GetNextNumerator gets a ID and then increments it. It's just an overkill.

My other problem is with transactions. If I have a sequence generator in the ID, TransactionScope fails with cannot open data connection. I have to use Begin/End Transaction.

Also, even if I rollback my transaction, my generator in Firebird is still updated.

I'm really close to throwing in the towel with NH and I don't want to :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 pm 
Regular
Regular

Just executing a SQL query can be done using the CreateSQLQuery method on the ISession.

I don't use this for UPDATES/INSErTS so im not quit sure how to handle returntypes (as i recall nHibernate demand an returntype) so my guess would be to use an int and perhabs it will hold the rows affected, try it out. Something like this:

Code:
object o = mySession.CreateSQLQuery("UPDATE x set y = y + 1")
                                .AddScalar("", NHibernate.Type.TypeFactory-Basic("int"))
                                .UniqueResult();

Perhabs some of the cleverer heads in here can clarify why a type is neccesary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Those are required I think because Create SQL Query is intended for, well, queries, not NonQueries.

You could also go a little deeper and grab the connection from the session (or directly from the factory ConnectionProvider) and build your own IDbCommand:

Code:
//sketch
IDbConnection conn = factory.ConnectionProvider.GetConnection();
IDbCommand cmd = conn.CreateCommand();
cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE x set y = y + 1";
cmd.Connection = conn;
//enlist to transaction if desired

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
conn.Close();

As far as the sequence being incremented even after rollback: I can't speak with authority in re Firebird, but I think that might be a DB level "issue". The same thing happens in SQL with identity columns: rollbacks produce "skipped" identifiers. But really, this should never be a problem, since the identifier (and even the relationships between identifiers) is not intended to carry any meaning.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]