-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sequences, allocationSize and Oracle (not what you think)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:23 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,
I don't really have an issue, but would just like to get some feedback on the SequenceHiLoGenerator impl. being used when specifying a value larger than 1 to the allocationSize parameter of the @SequenceGenerator annotation.

I am indeed wondering why it isn't simply incrementing the sequence.nextval by one until it has consumed all values until sequence.nextval + allocationSize...

The reason is two folded:
1/ Why would I want to fall back to such large row ids?
2/ What if some other system is accessing the sequence to insert row in the same table and eventually leads to duplicated values?

Is there actually a good reason to use the HiLo algorithm to implement that feature and not the "simple way"? Am I missing something? And is there a way to provide my own Generator, should I really want to do so?

Thanks,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Wow that's good news:
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/New323Hi ... Generators

Thanks for the link, Max Rydahl Andersen

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]