-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transient collections null after merging detached entity
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 am 

Hi everyone,
I am facing a problem that I was not able to solve on my own, thus I ask for your help. I have an entity class which is almost a POJO, containing several properties which should be considered by the persistence provider but I also have another property in the entity class which is a collection and which is annotated as transient.

As soon as I try to merge such a detached entity, the collection - which was non-empty before the merge - becomes empty right after the merge. This is a behaviour that I do not understand and which causes unwanted side effects, because I need to store the entity before processing any further, because I need its ID in order to save the entities that are stored in the collection.

Just in case that you suggest to let the JPA do the dirty work - this is not possible here because some of the entities need transformation prior to persisting.

Could anyone explain this behaviour?

Thank a lot,
Florian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:24 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

merge creates a copy of the persistent data and return a copy, persist makes the object managed.
You might want to check saveOrUpdate (from the Hibernate Session).

Post subject: Re: Transient collections null after merging detached entity
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:04 am 

I'm having the same problem and I use @ManyToMany(cascade = { CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE}, fetch=FetchType.EAGER)

In short. Parent class has a collection of Child class.

I invoke EntityManager.merge with a newly created Parent object with associated Child object that are already persistent.

During the execution of EntityManager.merge Hibernate invokes the Parent.setChildren method with an empty Collection

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]