-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: mapping collection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 am 
Regular
Regular

Hello,

I would like to map collections using List<> type and not ISet<> type. Is it possible ? How ?

thanks,

mathmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/nhibernate/1.2/reference/en/html/collections.html#collections-mapping

You seem to have mainly very basic questions. Have you read the documentation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

Sorry, I just begin using nhibernate. I read the documentation, but it's a bit difficult to understand as I'm french. In the documentation, it is said :
Quote:
All collection types except ISet and bag have an index column - a column that maps to an array or IList index
or IDictionary key.

Does it mean I should add a column in my child table just to have the possiblity to use a List ? Why is this coumn necessary ?
Moreover, I cannot see <index-one-to-many> tag. Why ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:36 am 
Expert
Expert

In general:

<set> maps to ISet
<bag> and <list> map to IList
<map> maps to IDictionary

Using <bag> will allow you to map to an IList without creating an index column. From the paragraph after the one you cite:

Quote:
A bag is an unordered, unindexed collection which may contain the same element multiple times. The
.NET collections framework lacks an IBag interface, hence you have to emulate it with an IList. NHibernate
lets you map properties of type IList or ICollection with the <bag> element. Note that bag semantics are not
really part of the ICollection contract and they actually conflict with the semantics of the IList contract
(however, you can sort the bag arbitrarily, discussed later in this chapter).

Also, I would definitely read section 15.5: http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/nhibernate/1.2/reference/en/html/performance.html#performance-collections

Others may have suggestions about French language resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:21 am 
Regular
Regular

Thank you very much.
So I'll use a bag collection.
Could you help me on the other post ? http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=976872

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]